Triangle count for character model

Started by
2 comments, last by JoeJ 3 years, 1 month ago

Hello. I have modelled a simple character as i can. Tried to reduce triangle count as much as possible. Now my character has 1566 triangles. Is it ok?

What is the optimal triangle count for games? So i can feed this mesh to my engine and it will not die under the pressure? Maybe someone of you have worked in the industry? Can you tell me the number of polygons for characters, that 2011-year and older games were using?

ALSO, check out my model. I need critics. I am not a 3d-artist but a programmer : ) Thanks.

My character
Advertisement

What fleabay's answer describes is modern technology: rendering with shaders computing a detailed 3D shape from affordable amounts of data (a relatively simple base mesh and normal or displacement textures) and modeling with comfortable sculpting tool and extensive automatic processing.

What you seem to be doing, on the other hand, is very old school modeling, with carefully designed triangles, at the uncomfortable detail level that is too complex to be easy to edit but still too coarse to look really good (see the hands, the armpits and the crotch of your figure).

It's hard to tell, without knowing your rendering technology and the intended look of your finished assets and scenes (what kind of game is it?), whether you should embrace modern technology as fleabay suggests (probably the easier route) or adopt a more stylized, “retro” look with a much lower number of triangles (requiring more skill but probably less work than what you have now).

Suggested references for low poly humans and creatures: Quake, Unreal, Virtua Fighter, Darius Gaiden. Are you aiming for a more realistic style?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

BANEBYTE said:
ALSO, check out my model. I need critics. I am not a 3d-artist but a programmer : )

Overall proportions look ok, but i doubt it will animate well. You need to rig it, bend legs and arms to see how badly it looks with deformation. Likely you end up adding some edge loops here and there. (1500 triangles is not much - don't worry if you have to increase this.)

Um… there are ripped game models around for reference. I remember a tool ‘XNA Lara’ on Deviant Art website, where people rip skinned models with skeleton form games. Somewhat shady, but a good reference to learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement