Attach 3d model onto another

Started by
1 comment, last by scott8 3 years, 1 month ago

Quick Explaination:

i want to add something to 3d models in blender so i can join multiple parts together in game. tried searching for it, i think im ignorant to the proper terms.

Background:

I'm in the prototyping stage for a game. i am mostly focusing on systems that are “essential”. I usually describe the game as a 3D evolution of Strikers 1945. I am a Software Engineer professionally so I'm not worried about coding. My issue is my very limited 3D modeling knowledge, i eventually will be gathering artists, but for know i would like to get some basic test models done so i can program the systems that use them. One of the most memorable parts of Strikers for me is the transforming bosses. I hope to have some fantastic transforming bosses but i also wanted to bring some modular systems to the regular planes. by separating the Plane Body, Wings, and Weapons i hope to bring a touch of rpg mechanics allowing the player to change how the planes fly and fight. the first step for me might sound very basic but it will be the foundation for a lot of cool effects.

My Problem:

I can't seem to find a consistent answer on techniques to attach my Plane Wing to the Plane Body in the games using information stored in the model. My theory is that i can add mounting points to the parts of my models and position the wing as a child to the body in the games so that the mounting points are occupying the same space. I am using blender because its free and i like to support open source projects.

I have plenty of other things to work on for know so I'm not expecting a answer right away. I expect that i probably don't know enough about blender to explain my problem fully so i will be watching this to answer questions, hoping to learn as much as possible. i do NOT plan on doing the art for the game, i just feel that i am not ready for others because they would be waiting on me to flesh things out, so i don't need to change things as my systems evolve.

Advertisement

@DevBo My initial thoughts:

I wouldn't try to attach items using info stored in your model, but use a different class for that.

I think this problem has already been solved: it's called skeletal animation! Usually it's used to animate humanoids or animals, but should be easily adapted to your goals. Normally a skeleton starts with the groin (root bone) is attached to a torso, attached to an arm, hand, finger. You would start with a cabin, then wings, then mounted weapons on the wings, etc.

It's not uncommon for different animals in games to share the same type of skeleton. The skeleton can have pointers to the type of appendage which is model specific. In your case you might have a cabin that has “wing1” as an appendage, but after an upgrade it gets changed to “wing2”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement