Software to use

Started by
4 comments, last by lourel 2 years, 2 months ago

Recently I've started thinking about switching the software that I use for all my modeling and level design work. I usually tend to use Blender for 3D modeling and Unreal Engine to create environments. Would it really make a difference as to what software I have experience with, as in should I switch to 3DS Max for future modeling and do more with Unity? These seem to be the industry standard but don't they basically have the same features? I would love any feedback on this and appreciate any insight given!

Advertisement

Simplest is to try it. At the very least it gives you an informed opinion about the other tools. It may also give you a better choice for (likely) some of the occasions where you need such a tool.

The industry standard is 3DS Max and/or Maya, I don't know any game studio I worked for in my life used Blender in their daily busines. On the game engine site, there is no real standard, some use Unreal some Unity, which most of the time is a matter of cost. Indies are more using Unity while professionals use Unreal. It is good to know both to be flexible

A bunch of modelers and level designers here at Valve use Blender on a daily basis as their primary modeling tool. I know actually a bunch of other game studios here in the US where this is true as well. Afaik Blender made quite a leap forward in recent years and a lot of people switched then. This was a decision of preference since they have usually all licenses at their disposal and can use whatever they want. Pricing was not the driving factor. Two other common choices for modeling are Modo and 3DS Max - not so much Maya actually. Maya is still the first choice for animation though.

Blender is fine.

I grew up on 3ds Max, I've written a bunch of plugins for 3ds Max, and I understand how it works, but I really wouldn't recommend it over Blender if you work for yourself.

If I were to learn a new package now, I'd probably learn Maya, rather than 3ds Max. Max seems more used in advertising and architecture, whereas Maya seems more used in game / character development, from what I see. Certainly, Unreal Engine focuses on Maya first and the others second, as that's the tool traditionally used within Epic.

But, it all depends on what it is you want to accomplish. If you want to work in a studio where they all use Modo, well, you're going to have to learn Modo :-)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Dirk Gregorius said:
A bunch of modelers and level designers here at Valve use Blender on a daily basis as their primary modeling tool. I know actually a bunch of other game studios here in the US where this is true as well

Thank you for letting us know!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement