Game Prototype Question

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year ago

Hello,

When it comes to designing the general gameplay of a game, I am aware that a lot of thought often goes into it. However, when it comes to a “Prototype" or proof of concept, I find it hard to think of when is a good point to say “Enough's enough, that's all it needs.”

My question is, what limitations should one give themselves when designing a concept or prototype of their game? Should one focus on the key aspects? Or perhaps just the general controls and systems? Or is there something else that should be focused on first, such as presentation?

Being an aspiring Gameplay Designer, I find myself wanting to establish a good focus on “Do” and “Don't”. Especially so as to not overreach.

None

Advertisement

My thought is that it perhaps depends on the purpose of the prototype: Is it intended to wow a potential audience? To test and iterate the mechanics? To present to one's team-members as a possible next project? Something else again?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Y'know, it's funny. All the time, people are asking all sorts of questions in the Game Design forum, and they have to be moved out of it as off-topic. Now we have one in Games Career Development that actually belongs in Game Design! So this has been moved to the Game Design forum.

HunterH said:
when is a good point to say “Enough's enough, that's all it needs.”

When you've convinced yourself that you have demonstrated that the concept is indeed fun. The purpose of a prototype is to work out the kinks, to demonstrate that the concept is playable and fun. When your prototype achieves that, and you're ready to take it to the next step.

HunterH said:
what limitations should one give themselves when designing a concept or prototype of their game? Should one focus on the key aspects? Or perhaps just the general controls and systems? Or is there something else that should be focused on first, such as presentation?

You can design the controls and systems when you write the concept paper and/or GDD. Presentation (assuming you mean like a PowerPoint deck or concept paper) is only necessary when seeking partners and/or funding. If by “presentation” you mean “intended looks,” that's part of a demo, not a proof-of-playability prototype.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thread was hijacked / necroed (offending post removed). Thread locked.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement