OpenGL 4 project — always front-facing?

Started by
4 comments, last by taby 1 year, 5 months ago

In my game I have movement working. That said, should the character always face front as it hops around from spot to spot? or, should the character face the direction of motion? What do you think?

Advertisement

Direction of motion.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It should face into the direction it is looking. Usually you look at the next spot you go.

But there's more you could do. If the character expects player input, it could look in to the camera, maybe only after some time to remind the player.
During attacks, the character can look at the current enemy, maybe even it it's moving elsewhere (like strafing or circling in FPS).

Things like that help to make the characters more alive and likable. I guess it can still work well with static models having no animation otherwise.
Different characters can have different hopping motions to make then more unique, for example. Remember playing with stiff puppets / action figures as a kid, eventually. : )

Ok the direction of motion rotation is implemented. I’ll implement rotation upon attack too. These are all good ideas on your part. Thanks again!

Here’s another question:

Should the player move, then attack? Or, attack, then move? Or either, then the other?

I've struggled with how to highlight the active player, and I came up with a solution that looks pretty cool. I draw black lines for the remaining players, and orange lines for the active player. I draw these on the glow pass, so they glow. Any suggestions or concerns?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement