Best program to work in/format to save art as when creating 2D assets or concept art?

Started by
3 comments, last by maeve 1 year, 1 month ago

Is there a preferred way to create and save digital 2D art for games? I'm relatively confident in my actual art skills, but I've never actually worked in a game development team before, despite wanting to for a really long time, so I don't really know proper “game developer etiquette” (if there is such a thing lol). I can guess that most professional 2D concept artists or asset creators probably use Photoshop, and I am quite comfortable with that program, but right now, most of the time I just use IbisPaintX despite the ads, just because it's free and I'm broke. Is there a better program that I should be using? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

maeve

Advertisement

GIMP doesn't bother you with ads. https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I would recommend using Krita. It's both free and ad-free, and I prefer its UI to that of GIMP.

Thanks for the responses! I’ve tried Krita and the UI is a little bit too tiny for my screen, but it’s great otherwise! I haven’t tried GIMP, but I’ll definitely check it out!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement