OpenGL game development - chris sheddon Book

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello,

i am looking for the source code of the Chris Seddon Book OpenGL, Game Development, Wordware ISBN 1-55622-989-5.

Thank you.

Greeting from Germany

Advertisement

Oh wow, reading the book reviews is quite a story. Looks like even if you were developing 20 years ago like that book targets, it would still be a bad book.

@rengedv is there a reason you are looking for a book that old? What are you hoping to learn?

Programs in that book are unlikely to compile on modern systems. Once you get it running, the graphics code may still work but your system will be emulating decades-old hardware to do it.

If you are trying to use hardware from the era of fixed-function graphics and Windows NT there are better resources from that time that can be suggested. If you are looking for a book on modern rendering, there are plenty of better suggestions as well.

frob said:

Oh wow, reading the book reviews is quite a story. Looks like even if you were developing 20 years ago like that book targets, it would still be a bad book.

Just read the reviews. Wow! If someone were to give me that book, I'd wonder how I wronged them!

No, I am not a professional programmer. I'm just a hobbyist having fun...

@frob Which ones do you know? Because I've only recently started doing this and I don't have much knowledge.

Which ones will be based on what you want to learn.

If you are looking for modern techniques, Vulkan or DirectX 12 will be your targets. For Vulkan see https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/714043-vulkan-books/ for several books. It is a modern system with a bit of complexity, so if you are a beginner it will likely have a serious learning curve. It is a powerful system so expect to read quite a few books and build a lot of experiments to get going on it.

If you are looking for the techniques for hardware from 20 years ago, the OpenGL “red book” is probably the best first source. Just be aware it is very outdated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement