3D Level Schematics

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 months, 3 weeks ago

So I have only made level schematics for 2D platformer type games so far as a student. I was wondering how one goes about making a level schematic for a 3D Souls - Like type game?

Advertisement

How is a level schematic (flow diagram?) for a 3d game any different than a level schematic for a 2d game? Surely you're not thinking that the schematic has to be 3d?

Are you still a student? Have you discussed this with your classmates, your project mates, your professor?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What information does your first draft of a schematic lack? Find out and add other drawings, without expecting to put all information in a single schematic (which is likely possible in a strictly 2D game like a platformer, not in a 3D game).

Drawing the same object or environment from different viewpoints is a very proven technique, with specific standards like a triptych of orthogonal projections.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@lorenzogatti ‘s question showed me how a schematic could be more a diagram of a game’s physical world, rather than just a diagram showing flow between levels (which is how I was picturing the original question). Like a diagram of a game city, in which one also has to diagram the play arenas in a multi-floor building within the city. In which case I agree that additional diagrams are called for when one cannot suffice.

Tom Sloper said:

a schematic could be more a diagram of a game’s physical world, rather than just a diagram showing flow between levels

I assumed that the OP has trouble with the detailed “schematics” that are meant for documenting the transition from vague design to a concrete level, with enough detail to use a level editor. For a 2D environment a single view of the whole level should suffice, for a 3D environment a single view is unlikely to show everything that needs to be built. As you observe, more abstract diagrams, e.g. a graph of rooms, doors and locks (but also animation timing and state transitions, spreadsheet-like data, etc.), are much less likely to be more complicated or significantly different in a 3D project.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@Tom Sloper Oh no I was not expecting it to be a 3D schematic lol. I probably should have elaborated a bit. I am still a student yes. I was just wondering if there is any key difference in making a schematic for something like Elden Ring vs Mario. Like planning different levels of a dungeon, entry points, ect. Most of my projects up to this point I kinda just sat in UE4 and started to make what came to mind. On a group project recently, I acted as level designer for a 2D platformer prototype game. It was much smoother actually making that project with a detailed plan.

Michael McCardell said:
I am still a student yes. I was just wondering

Schematics, diagrams, and charts should be in whatever form best conveys the information the team will require … whatever form best helps inform the team of what to build.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement