Unreal Engine C++ & Blueprints

Started by
2 comments, last by Juliean 1 month ago

As someone relatively new to game development, I've been diving into a project using Unreal and relying heavily on blueprints. But I've hit a snag, especially when it comes to crunching numbers for things like damage calculations, especially with factors like armor or magic resistance in the mix. Now I'm wondering if sticking with blueprints for all this math stuff is the best call, or if I should switch over to C++ for the heavy lifting. On top of that, I'm not sure if I should mix and match, do some math in C++ and then call it in blueprints, or just stick to one method throughout.

Advertisement

I recommend watching this

It should answer your question.

Damage calculations for me sounds like a core gameplay pillar, such that quite a lot of the actual game will rely on it. What I would consider is to implement DamageProcessor as a C++ class which would do the most basic damage calculations and will be the core component of the damage system. Then use blueprints to create mechanics that “branch” out of the damaging system - for example DamageModifiers type of stuff that will be created by designers.

None

Besides, if you do complicated math in blueprints, I would recommend the Math Expression Node. That makes it much mure readable and easy to write, for more complex formulas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement