Advertisement

How long you lot been programming?

Started by April 10, 2000 04:09 PM
23 comments, last by David Herod 24 years, 5 months ago
I have really been programming for a maximum of 8 months. i learned C++ but i never actually did any programming with it until about 8 months ago. before that all i did was dable around in VB and Visual Pascal for the Apple IIc (until i got a new computer).

- Moe -
I don''t think the number of years you learn programming really matters, unless you are really talking about ''programming time'' in terms of hours your really spent programming. Hell i can have 3 years and just spent 1 hour each day max.

You know you''re competent when you developed a completed game(doesn''t matter large or small). You know you''re good when you had a marketed product under your belt
Advertisement
ok, well, I have been programming for 13 years, and that is 50 weeks a year, 5 days a week. So

Am I good? My clients seem to like the database crap work I hand them. Me, I''d rather be raping the universe with cutscenes and sword fighting "bugs" in a deep lush forest.

Bworks.Com
I started with BASIC when I was 9 or 10 years old, making some really simple stuff. A few years ago, at the age of 13, I learned C, and C++ a little later. I''ve tried to make some simple games for DOS, but I''ve been too lazy to finish them. I know only the basics from VGA-graphics and DOS, and nothing about DirectX or Windows-programming. So I don''t think I''m a good programmer.
I started when i was 12 with QBASIC. Then about two years ago I started in Borland Turbo C++ (DOS stuff) and then about a month ago I got Visual C++ and now I am just starting to get the hang of direct x (thanks to window game programming for dummies). I dont consider myself a terribly great programmer, but not a terribly bad one either...

- Daniel

my homepage
- DanielMy homepage
Hmmm...Let's see...

First off I was into electronics, and got an old computer (8086) to rip apart

I found a Pascal compiler on a disk I had lying around, played with it for a while, then got bored and left it alone for a few years.

Got into computers a bit more, got Turbo Pascal off a friend, and spent a few years getting good (I like to think I'm quite good at programming).

Converted to TP v7 and learnt (very little) Object orientated stuff.

Had a go at Delphi for a while (on and off for a year or two).

I'm now learning MS VC++ v6.0, and have been for a few months now.

Oh yeah: I've learnt some ASM somewhere along the line, can't remember exactly when

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

Edited by - GEo on 4/13/00 5:19:14 AM
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Advertisement
I thought that I already programmed 3 years, but in fact it were 2 years!
I have been learning QBasic, Pascal, Assembler, C++ and I am now tackling DirectX.
Finished a couple of games in each language, but most of them were small. And there are a lot of unfinished projects.
Now I''m working seriously on a 2D ''secret of mana style'' Role Playing Game. All goes well.
I took a few pascal courses in high school (about 10 years ago). Loved it but didnt'' have access to a computer of my own until a few years ago. I recieved Delphi soon after but never really programmed anything until about 2 years ago. Now I have a game out as shareware (that actually has made me money believe that or not!) and two more that I plan to put out fairly quickly.

Great? Naaa. Talented? I think so. Learning? Yes. Addicted? MOST certainly!

-Tasm
Tams11 Software
I''m just wondering...does anyone else here have..."withdrawl symptoms" when they go for a day or two without programming? I know I do. I carry around a notebook now with the latest major version of my code for the project I''m working on everywhere I go. I took it to Cancun (Mexico) last week during spring break! I spent more time in that notebook, working through my code, rewriting it and such, than I did on the beach or anything.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
I started programming in QBasic when I was seven. But I got really bored with VB(which I got into later on) so about last year I got into C++. I am now 14 and programming... uh... like the wind? no, that doesn''t work. uh... hold on a minute... i''ll come up with something.... maybe....

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
D:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement