Advertisement

ArtificiaI Intelligence really works?

Started by May 08, 2000 08:35 AM
23 comments, last by abe_bcs 24 years, 4 months ago
Humans aren''t any good at generating random numbers, either.

Asked to generate random numbers, test subjects typically pick numbers of personal significance earlier rather than later in sequential test runs. Typically, benchmark numbers such as 1 and 100 (the sample range was 1-100) come up much later than is typical for truly random number generation.

So - are humans intelligent?

I don''t see true AI anytime soon, but I hope to see it during my lifetime.

$0.02
Saying we can''t understand our own brains is like saying a computer can never understand a CPU. Most of our brains is used to store memory. Like a computer. A computer can easily store an entire schematic of its CPU.

Not to mention, we only use 10% of our brains.

E:cb woof!
Advertisement
>> Saying we can''t understand our own brains is like saying a computer can never understand a CPU. Most of our brains is used to store memory. Like a computer. A computer can easily store an entire schematic of its CPU. Not to mention, we only use 10% of our brains. <<

That is an entirely imperfect simili. The CPU is not what stores the information. A computer could not contain all the information about itself (i.e., all connections within it, where the trasnistors are, what electrical siginals are in it, etc) because it''s recursive. Even more than that, a computer cannot even contain all information on another equivilant computer (which eliminates the recursiveness), because it would take more memory to store the information about the memory (i.e. transistors, the electrical siginals that are in it, how it all works as a whole) than the equivilant amount of memory has. Perhaps you''re thinking that then it could merely use it''s hard-drive as virtual memory? Well, you have to store all the info about the hard-drive too! And even aside from that, the human brain is not seperated so neatly into different parts as a computer is.
You don''t need to know what your memories are to know how it works. Like the HD in your example. You can record how it works without recording what the information on it is. The information is irrelevent, it''s HOW it works that''s important.

A computer can''t think. Even in AI, it only uses previously stored algorithms/data to solve new problems, suitably changing them. So how can it solve new, unrelated problems like humans (or even animals) do? I mean, will a program make a computer take over the world if no reference is made to it in its code? Or CAN it? Can a computer develop morals and consiences? Can it "feel ill", and start an anti-virus WITHOUT CODING? I guess not...

/\ \/\/ /\ |< <-
/ // / |< <-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement