double speed once every 18 months?

Started by
14 comments, last by Jakarta 21 years ago
Will computers really continue doubling in speed once every 18 months? I think they will slow down about now. There is a problem with newer machines that did not exist with computers 5 years ago. The problem is the heat. A 2.0ghz system gives of way more heat than the old 350mhz and on alot of machines this is noticable because of the sound.
Advertisement
quote:
Gordon Moore made his famous observation in 1965, just four years after the first planar integrated circuit was discovered. The press called it "Moore's Law" and the name has stuck. In his original paper, Moore observed an exponential growth in the number of transistors per integrated circuit and predicted that this trend would continue. Through Intel's relentless technology advances, Moore's Law, the doubling of transistors every couple of years, has been maintained, and still holds true today. Intel expects that it will continue at least through the end of this decade. The mission of Intel's technology development team is to continue to break down barriers to Moore's Law.

I believe that you are reffering to Moore's Law which says that the number of transisters on a chip will double, not processor speed. but anyway

[edit] My 400 mhz p2 has no fan

[edited by - nate0326 on April 28, 2003 12:32:16 AM]
And then there's that thing about an electron needing a path at least 3 atoms wide if you don't want demons to start spawning.

wait...is it three atoms to open the dimensions of hell? i forget...

[edited by - kordova on April 28, 2003 9:15:30 PM]
You reminded me of the processor that I have that doesn''t even have a fan on it... My 200mhz pentium does just fine without a fan and actually has a lower run temp then my processor I am using now... I have another really old one (286) that barely even gets to be *hot* if anything, it gets a little warm... and thats only when it''s on turbo mode, 12mhz as opposed to the normal 8mhz, really crunching those numbrs

ahh... the good old days!

Dwiel

[edited by - Anonymous Poster on Febtober 93, -4793 BC 56:69:80 MP]
I wanna use light for processing. Yeah light. Like in animes and stuff. And we need giant fighting robots. More mecha I say!!! Yeah!
50 years ago computers were the size of a room, in 50 years time a computers cooling unit will be the size of a room!
quote:Original post by reaptide
I wanna use light for processing. Yeah light. Like in animes and stuff. And we need giant fighting robots. More mecha I say!!! Yeah!

Ahem. Now go post some cute anime girls in the hot anime girls thread. Thanks.

Please don''t mind me. I''ve been up for more time than could be considered healthy and consumed a few too many bottles of Bawls. I think my brain is melting.

But seriously, there is only so much that will be possible with existing processor technologies. Already these things are being designed on incredibly small scales (Transitors effectively becoming a few atoms in size). What''s next?
Next up is 3D chips (transistors not beign put in layers but as a 3D structure) and multiple processors in one computer. When this comes, Moore''s Law will continue to be valid for a couple of decades.

On another note: I read somewhere that GPU''s follow Moore''s Law Squared. That is; GPU''s double in computing power about every 9 months instead of every 18 months. It won''t be long until GPU''s are as fast, or faster that CPU''s.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves GD][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

forgive my stupidness but was is a GPU?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement