🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Space walk Without a space suit .

Started by
40 comments, last by Tha_HoodRat 24 years ago
What would happen to your body if you jumped out of a space ship without a Space Suit ? I am having an argument with one off my instructors I wanna know who is right . There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Advertisement
Physics explanation: When you are on earth, the pressure of the atmosphere at sea level is about 100000 Pascals. A person has a surface area of about 2 square meters. Since Force = Pressure * Area, you have a force of about 200000 Newtons compressing your body due to the atmosphere. Newtons third law states that every force has an equal and opposite reaction, therefore your body is pushing out with a force of 200000 Newtons. In space there isn''t the force from the atmosphere compressing your body, so to put it simply your body will pop.

-- Kazan - Fire Mountain Games --
i guess it might depend on wether you were in direct line of the sun or not...

Since if you are then space is extrememly hot... otherwise it''s icy frigid... that might have something to do with it... next you have to consider that space is a vacuum... so your body might want to expand to fill the void.... (that could be messy)... maybe the movie with Arnold Schwartzanegger "Total Recall" is correct when his helmet cracks.... but maybe not cause it''s a differet atmosphere... and not exactly space.

food for thought

www.databyss.com
www.omlettesoft.com

"Don''t meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Tha_HoodRat: I don''t know if you were planning a trip in space without a space suit, but I can tell you it''s a bad idea.

Programming is:
1. The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or, in these days of on-line editing, the art of debugging an empty file).
2. A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
3. The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
FOLDOC
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
You''d die is the best conclusion.

However if you freeze instantly your body may just stay like that in frozen form afloat. Maybe some of your internal organs will pop. Then again you may pop and become a bunch of ice crystals.

Heat isn''t too big a deal as long as you''re not too close to the sun.

Yeah, Total Recall had a nice rendition...just speed up the reaction so it happens less than a millisecond.

Also a nice rendition was in Aliens: Ressurection where the alien got sucked out the little hole in the windows

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
I have been trying to convince my class that eihter you would freeze or explode , but would they listen , no. N-way what brought this on was the movie Fortress 2 , there is a part when the guy was flushed into space , he held his breath and floated around until he found another air lock , I was like WTF and walked out off the classroom , I mean what kinda BS is that?

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Serrious BS. No WAY you can just hold your breath in space.

I don't think you'd freeze right away. You loose heat in one of 2 ways, through radiation, or convection. Since space has no mater (not enough to mention) then your body heat won't be removed through convection. So your body would have to loose its heat through radiating it away, which is a relatively slow process which would give your body more then enough time to explode first.

Ask your classmates this: If we could just hold our breath, why do we wear suits? Why not just cary oxygen tanks and masks?

E:cb woof!

Edited by - dog135 on June 13, 2000 1:39:21 PM
E:cb woof!
I thought you would explode because of the tension that your body designed for.

------------------------
Captured Reality.
Well, how about this: before taking that spacetrip, you
are slowly adapting to lower pressure rate. As far as I can
see, the body is solid right thru, except the breathing
tract. The reason you pop is because your body has a large
energy stored to counteract the great pressure from outside.
If you adapt for lower and lower pressure, you remove
that energy. Now only the breathing tract left.

If you start breathing an oxygen-rich liquid, then you
almost removed the deadlock of needing a concentrated
oxygen volume to be able breathing AND still keeping
pressure down inside breathing tract.

So now you only have to protect yourself
from the enormous heat dissipation into space. You
should remove as much water from your skin surface as
possible, since fluids are excellent heat mediators,
and you need to create a dry porous isolative zone.
Applying some heat-isolating cream is a good idea.

Now you are ready to see if it all works out, hee hee!
Don''t stay out too long, mommy may be worried!
i'm not sure about this, but i heard that there was some secret test by russia (or maybe it was nasa)...they sent a monkey into space and actually sent it out to see what happend. it probably didnt actually happen, but i think if anyone did go out into space you'd get a mixed reaction. you'd pop, and die. but maybe your blood and organs would freeze as they float. kinda sick isnt it?

Edited by - gameprogrammerwiz on June 13, 2000 7:06:44 PM
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement