🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

older generation who refuse to upgrade...

Started by
20 comments, last by cow_in_the_well 24 years ago
my father did his phd on a techtronics comp in the late ''70s coding in fortran..so you''d think he''d go with the flow. but no....weve managed to bump him up to a pentium 100 with 32mb ram && win95. (no sound) he uses word 5 for dos and word2 for windows, sidekick 1 for dos, netscape 3 and every thing else 7 years old. on the internet he thinks a page should load in less than 5 seconds (he has a 28.8 modem btw), is religiously against frames and java applets and graphics totalling over 50k. (it was extremely difficult to develop a web page for him) he thinks computer games are a waste of time...(thats very hard on me ). anyone else come accross this or is this an isolated case? ----------------------------- -cow_in_the_well http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

Advertisement
Well, I''d agree with him on the fact that webpages should load fast, at least initial ones. I really hate getting to a page and having to wait for 50 items to load just because some hack ripped off 100 java scripts to put on his main page.

On the other stuff, well yeah, I''ve had run-ins with that generation a lot in my early gaming days (early 80s). I remember telling one of them that I had to upgrade to a 40 MB HD (20 was the standard back then), to run a game that was about 20 MB in size. He looked at me and said "20 MB for a GAME? What a waste of code!" It''s a generation that was the original "guru" generation, the people who hung around on BBS''s all day to stay up to date, who thought any computer which was used to play a game was a waste of money and resources.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
quote: Original post by cow_in_the_well
anyone else come accross this or is this an isolated case?

DON''T PANIC
its bigger than you think.
thank GOD for that....i was was getting worried.

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

Edited by - cow_in_the_well on June 18, 2000 1:26:46 AM

hmm. i forgot to metion this before, but its a biggy. he still uses 5.25" floppies!?!?!

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

I agree that there is too much crap in programs now. Programmers are just too lazy to optimize there code now.

We need nes8bit or landfish to liven up this thread. There should be a little flag next to every disscussion to show whether nes8bit, landfish, or some of those other people who don''t care about the topic have posted on the thread.

For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
quote: Original post by blue-lightning
...We need nes8bit or landfish to liven up this thread. There should be a little flag next to every disscussion to show whether nes8bit, landfish, or some of those other people who don''t care about the topic have posted on the thread....

quote: Neo
How bout I give you the finger, and you give me my phone call?

------------------------
Captured Reality.
I called, you answered.

Heh, my dad is pretty good but is rather hesitant at upgrading and doing new things with computers (Math guy). My dad had not much previous experience with computers and one summer I taught him how to use microsoft word, scan stuff in pdf and ftp things to a website I made for his classes. Can you imagine all the yelling and fighting while teaching him hehe... he was a good student though and now is crusing along while other faculty members can''t or won''t do extra things on the web for his students. He practiced pretty hard. I''m pretty darn proud of him! Happy Fathers day Dad!

Oh and he insists that his monitor screen size is decreasing daily and he watches ZDTV on a consistant basis now. I would tell him to upgrade, but he''s got a good situation going and the school doesn''t have enough money probably to afford a new computer. Go MACS!
"If you build it, it will crash."
I am starting to think nes8bit can post while he''s sleeping...
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement