🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why are RPG combat systems so boring?

Started by
107 comments, last by benfinkel 20 years, 5 months ago
The Elder Scrolls Series, and System Shock series (which kind of includes dues ex).

Elder Scrolls came out around wolfenstein.

Pre Doom was System Shock and Elder Scroll 3.

Both of which involved swinging you rmouse around.

Elder Scrolls 3: Arena controlled you weapon depending on how you moved your mouse and which buttons you used. System shock was like any FPS.

The recent System Shock 2 is still in the same style. With good old Shodan and the same game play.
Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 4) and it''s add ons still use a "swing your mouse around and jab it" with different mouse buttons and so forth so the more you use a weapon, the better you get, and the different ways you move your mouse and how and when you do it control the style (eg swinging, trusting, bashing, slicing, stabbing) and how far you pull back, and the amount of damage you do.

It''s an old and tried and tested system that works well. Only two companies seem to use it though. Bethesda and Irrational.

Oh, and if your thinking that it is only for PC, then try this

PS2/XBox game - the lost
http://thelost.com/
Whilst you are there, check out the screenshots
I know that it''s an incentive for me to buy either ps2 or xbox. I might go for the xbox since it''s cheap over christmas here. But that depends on if I can be bothered. It''s the same cost as around 8 to 10 cases of beer.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Extrarius
I would disagree entirely. Diablo 2 is nothing but a click-fest. All you do is point and click and use a potion every once in a while. Its like an FPS, except that instead of other players, you get to play against bots that just walk around real slow while trying to always stay visible and have a reaction time of something like a minute.

How much have you played it? One hour, using the barbarian or what? You can of course have your own opinion, but don''t say things that ain''t true. One minute my a**. And the term PvP are not familiar to you?
I think possibly one reason is that creators of games like Everquest or Morrowind concentrate on the statistics rather than on the actual combat. i.e. they believe the random number crunching and numbers in a variable make the combat system.

---------------------------------------------
Don''t hate da playa hate da game
U can''t hate da playa so u gotta hate da game
---Anything is possible. Yep, even that.---
I was just talking to my friend about this kind of subject last week about Tony Hawk. We were talking about skateboard game reality, and I was like, 'They should program the controller buttons to the feet, legs, torso, arms, etc. so that it's more like learning to skate for real' ... kinda. If you wanted to kickflip, you'd crouch, snap your back leg while lifting your front leg, then crouch again in midair, orient your legs so the board is horizontal then land. In this way, only the people who enjoy the game enough to go through weeks and months of playing the game will be able to do more impressive moves for example, just like in real life.

While this is analogous to any game, it would probably be really difficult to program correctly, and, be less efficient and practical than something like a VR board or VR sword accessory.

Edit: scratch the VR board - that would not be at all practical. But the sword would.

[edited by - mdleadg on November 29, 2003 2:03:20 PM]
The reason that most RPG''s have "boring" combat is because of those first two letters - "role playing". The skill is supposed to lie mainly in your character and not in yourself. The more action-oriented and twitch-based the game becomes the less meaningful your character is.

Most people would admit that the moment-to-moment gameplay of a FPS is more fun than (say) Everquest. However, I don''t know anybody that''s played the same FPS 4+ hours a day every single day for the last 5 years. I do know several people that play Everquest or some other mmorpg like that though. There must be something in there that people find fun or they wouldn''t dedicate thier lives to it for such a long time.
-Mike
There''s a game out there for the PS2 called "Kengo" or "Kengo II" or something, and it''s basically a role-playing tournament fighter. Your guy fights one-on-one against other guys (It''s Japanese swordfighting) using a variety of moves and combos. Standard stuff.

The difference is the role-playing elements, and how they''re implemented. You gradually increase your strength, speed, stamina, dexterity, etc. through a regimen of training, which consists mostly of "mini-games" like extinguishing candles with your sword or standing under a waterfall and maintaining your balance.

Each of these exercises will increase the maximum limit of a combat trait, but you won''t actually gain speed or strength in battle until you bring these skills to bear against an opponent. So a combination of rudimentary practice and real (sort of real, they use wooden swords for practice bouts) combat is needed to train effectively. Also, you learn new moves as you fight opponents with different styles.

What''s so great about this system is that the things you do the most are improved more, and your character gains skill as you do. If you tend to run around a lot and vary distance, your speed and agility will increase. If you do a lot of blocking and parrying, your strength and dexterity will increase. If you get whacked a lot, your defense will increase. But if you don''t go out and train between bouts, you''ll hit a "ceiling", and won''t be able to get better.

So even a really skilled player will be limited by the speed and skill of his character. I remember the second time I rented it, I didn''t have my guy saved any more, and was frustrated by the new character''s weakness. The character grows into the player''s style, and there''s a really pleasing symbiosis there. That''s what I think a good RPG should be.

If that idea was expanded into a larger world and a greater variety of skillsets, I think that a really good game could be had. Practicing a skill is a much more satisfactory way to improve than just levelling. How is it that killing a ton of Deathclaws helps me pick locks more effectively?

So a good real-time action-style combat engine bound by the attributes of the character and the actual experiences that character has had would eliminate the boring turn-based nonsense while maintaining the roleplaying elements. But if you''re going to allow twitch gameplay, it had better be regulated by some roleplaying element.
This is a really interesting thread, guys. Keep up the good work.

In reading this thread, I heard many different examples of interesting combinations of skill/statistic implementations, but there were two I didn''t see - Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy Tactics.

First, PSO. I really admire that combat system because, although you can simply level up and kill monsters with one hit, or stand back and do single attacks, you must actually learn how to time your attacks in order to do the most damaging combos. While doing combos, you were less likely to be hit by the enemy. Also, mixing strong and weak attacks were essential for dispatching enemies more efficiently.

And then there is FFT. The FFT combat system is pretty unique, and I''ve only seen a few games that implement it. I admire Square for making it because it brings balance in that although you can have a giantly leveled character, even Orlandu (FFT''s ultimate bad-ass) would be whacked if he fought by himself (by bosses). It also brought in the strategy of mixing up classes of characters in order to most effectively dispatch the enemies. A large coordinate grid on which the battle took place helped facilitate the skill emphasis.

I think that these are both excellent blends of skill and statistics and are thus my favorite games. I''ve been paying attention to the ideas outlined in this thread, and I''ve taken many of these into consideration for an RPG I''m designing.

In particular, I like the idea of using actual experience in a certain area will gain that character skill in that area. I plan on using the leveling system used by the MAGs in PSO. Every time one of your skills levels up, your overall level increases. Therefore, if you have a lv. 1 strength, lv. 5 accuracy, lv. 2 defense, your character would be level 8.

In each of us there is a force that compels us to act selfishly, no matter the consequences. It is the force that will eventually cause our downfall. It is the ID - Thanatos.
In each of us there is a force that compels us to act selfishly, no matter the consequences. It is the force that will eventually cause our downfall. It is the ID - Thanatos.
actually i was Virtua Fighter 4 last night.
and i was thinking that if the combat system was somewhat similar to the AI trainer that would be pretty cool.
maybe not for the main character himself but your party members or "pokemon"-like characters.

and actually my issue with Grandia 2 is that i believe it would have been a better game had they let you fight freely instead of in a turn based matter. and have it be multiplayer at that.

or at the very least have the same combat system but multiplayer.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Some of my favorite RPGs are Ultima Underworld I and II. (Made by the same people as System Shock I & II) They implement both in-game skills & out-game skills.

It seems more satisfactory when you are whacking enemies with a sword using your mouse, then just clicking on the guy and auto fighting like other games.
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
a game that I quite enjoyed was "Silver" it did requre you to use your mouse + diffrent key combos.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement