under 18 getting published?

Started by
10 comments, last by lpsoftware 23 years, 8 months ago
Is it unusual that someone who''s under 18 and has a game get''s published? This is my story: I have been emailing a certain publisher (name will be disclosed *for now*) back and forth about my game that I''m looking to get published. It''s nothing big; a budget title. Anyway, it got to the point where he/she said that they could put it on a 2-pack with one other game and he/she also sent me a contract to sign. Being that I''m under 18, I sent back an email saying that I am indeed under 18 and asking what procedures need to take place for a parent/guardian to sign the contract for me. Haven''t got an answer back. Could it be that he/she does not want to do business anymore? It seems _very_ strange to me. Maybe I''m just being paranoid and he/she hasn''t read the email yet or have the time to write back a reply yet. Anyway, all feedback is appreciated. Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Advertisement
People are busy, so just give it afew more days...
I doubt a publisher would deny a developer, even if they are under 18 (especially with a budget title) so I wouldnt be concerned.
Ibuku: Thanks for the response, and you''re probably right. It''s just that it usually takes him/her only a few hours to email me back (which is impressive) and it''s been a few days.

Do you, or anyone else, know the standard procedure that takes place for someone under 18 to make a business deal? Does a specific contract have to be tailored to be signed by a parent or guardian, or does the parent/guardian just sign the standard contract that was given to me?

Thanks.

Martin
This depends on country (and maybe state).
I''m from Portugal and you can sign any kind of working/publishing/bussiness contract if im over 16. Some countries require 18. There are two ways, contact the publisher and do business with them with yout guardians permission (he signs the stuff) or do business with another person (a friend whos 18 or such) and let him sign all deal and maybe get one or two copies

If the publisher doesnt answer you, just email him back and tell him your willing to work with them under anothers person name to make it all legal (if they dont like the guardian aproach)
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
In the USA, I am certain you will have to get your parents or legal gardian to sign for you. Since they will be signing, it may be that the proceeds go into a trust fund or some other kind of holding area until you are 18. I really don''t know whether this would be the case, though.

As with any deal involving the signing of a contract, it is highly recommended that you have the document reviewed by a lawyer before you sign it. This is especially true if you or your parent/guardian aren''t accustomed to reading contracts. I imagine you or your parents could hire a lawyer for a couple of hours worth of time to take a look at it. May be a few $100 but worth it to make sure you don''t give away the farm. Just do a quick eval yourself to make sure the profits will eventually more than pay for the lawyer, .

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
email: grhodes@sed.ara.com
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
grhodes_at_work:

I have a feeling that you are right and that the money will be put into some kind of trust fund...damnit

And thank you for your advice about consulting a lawyer. I''ve already had it reviewed by 3 lawyers: My mom, my grandma, and a family friend. lol. It seems fine to them.

Anyway, if they don''t mail me back soon, I''ll just have to ask my parents to sign the contract they gave me, and to send it to their office...forget about consulting by email.

I don''t see how he can close the deal now. Someone''s already working on the jewel case for crying out loud!

Any more feedback is welcome.

Martin
I work for a publisher at the moment, perhaps the one you are speaking of at the moment. You just need your parents to also sign the contract..pretty standard.

Good luck.
Update: I have gotten a reply back from the publisher and, as Ibuku said, all I have to do is get a parent/legal guardian to co-sign it.

Martin
Congratulations. Let us know how you go. I for one am interested in how well you do, as I am thinking of contacting a publisher sometime soon. Fortunately, I am 18, so I have no legal problems

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Thanks. I will post some sort of announcement soon on how it''s going.

Martin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement