Best 17", 19" CRT Monitor

Started by
8 comments, last by DMINATOR 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi there, I am looking for peoples opinion on which 17" or 19" flat screen monitor they think is the best and why! I am hoping to purchase a new monitor very soon and am looking for some advice from people who use their monitor for similar tasks as what I will be: programming and game playing. Therefore it must have the best of both worlds - great graphics display capabilities and very sharp text! I'd appreciate any and all comments that people can put forth. Cheers! J-Ral.
Trace back the elements...
Advertisement
I use a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900NF. Runs 1600x1200 display nice and crisp. I use a 1600x1200 desktop, small fonts, and code all day... and I'm happy with it. Has 3 year warranty. It wasn't terribly expensive either, at something like $350 Canadian 3 years ago. I didn't shop around, so it's likely you can beat the price.

edit: Checked the website of the store where I got my monitor. A Viewsonic G90F is $309 CDN, with similar specs (dot pitch and resolution capabilities) to the Samsung. Capable of 1920x1440 @ 64Hz, 1600x1200 @ 77Hz, 1280x1024 @ 90Hz.

I haven't used the Viewsonic so I can't say anything about actual image quality, product quality, usablility of on-screen programming features, etc, but it seems like it's similar to the Samsung I have.
I recently read this review, which seems to recommend a Samsung 710T/N:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html

The most important characteristic for games is the response time. For programming, I think pretty much any flat monitor will be just fine. I personally find 1280x1024 to be a good resolution to work in. If you need to fit more, I would go with two screens.
(Moved to the Lounge, because this isn't really a programming issue)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by alvaro

That is an LCD monitor, not a CRT :)

I would HIGHLY recommend the Viewsonic P95f+b monitor which is a 19" flat tube CRT. It is a professional monitor and can run 1600x1200 @ 87hz. It is probably the best monitor I have used really, and my girlfriend who is a graphic designer seems to agree and wants one now as well :)

If you want the best possible picture go with the Viewsonic.
whatever you do never ever buy the samsung 995DF 19" monitor. I got it for my office and had to regret this decision every single day. There is so much moire esp, on a cyan desktop and it just doesn't go away. The brightness is WAY too high and the colors are so faded they just suck. Also the monitor isn't flat in anyway. I mean you can clearly see the curve behind the glass they've put on the front..

Anyway, I was lucky to have it traded in for a LG 17" Flatron (775FT) that is 100 times better. If you're looking for a 17" that is a really good choice.
[size="1"]----#!/usr/bin/perlprint length "The answer to life,universe and everything";
ViewSonic are an excellent brand. I still have my 17" ViewSonic G771 Graphics Series monitor. It's been good to me for about 5 years now. In fact it has outlasted my gf4ti4200 which just bit the dust yesterday (doh). It's not perfectly flat (it doesn't use aperture grill) but it's good enough.

cheers
sam.
Thank you all for your replies!

I have been seriously considering the viewsonic's.

At the moment I have two 17" screen's - one is pretty good, the other sucks!

So, I'm hoping to get a 19" flat CRT to combine with the pretty good 17".

I have been considering the viewsonic P95f+b and the G90fb but am torn between the two.

The only real deciding factor is the $150 difference - which isn't much I guess. I'm just a bit concerned that I'll get this monitor and it'll display blurry text or the graphics will be of average quality or it'll be DOA.

DOA I can deal with as I can get a replacement but if the quality sucks, what's to say that the quality of the replacement won't suck?

If anyone can relieve me of my doubts I would be most appreciative!!!

Cheers,

J-Ral
Trace back the elements...
Quote:Original post by Saruman
Quote:Original post by alvaro

That is an LCD monitor, not a CRT :)

I would HIGHLY recommend the Viewsonic P95f+b monitor which is a 19" flat tube CRT. It is a professional monitor and can run 1600x1200 @ 87hz. It is probably the best monitor I have used really, and my girlfriend who is a graphic designer seems to agree and wants one now as well :)

If you want the best possible picture go with the Viewsonic.

I got a P95f+ it's also really good and I've been very happy with it. Won some price for best monitor in this computermag hence I bought it.

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Well I have IIyama vision master PRO 454 19"(18" viewable), it's new model ,designed for professionals, I especially wanted to buy the best monitor on the market, so I selected this one. Here are some advantages:

-Great colors
-High brightness
-Great anti-reflection and anti-static coating
-Perfect flat CRT tube
-using Diamondtron CRT tube - (SONY Trinitron analog) which ensures no color disortions on the edges.
-High resolutions support up to 1920x1440 , 85 Hz max
-Has a built in speakers
-USB hub
-2 video in connectors
-has quite compact dimentions
-OPQ mode - ideal when playing games or watching DVD movies
-latest TCO 03 standart
-345 Mhz dot clock

Some disadvantages
-Some geometrical distortion on the edges
-High power consumption 145W ! in maximum normal mode
-Damper wires are visible(natural phenomenon)
-Possible screen position moving when switching monitor resolutions often(still it returns to default position)

The monitor has a 3 year warranty. Well I am complitely satisfyed with it, it does take some time at the beginning to set up the screen to new video modes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement