Bush and his ridiculous speech today

Started by
83 comments, last by Ajare 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Stonicus"Yeah, we're all saved, Jebediah is here!!! He had some bad storms and handed out some water one day for a few minutes while the cameras where there. We had the single worst natural disater in all of man kind! What's the difference?! Cheer Jeb!"

I find that extremely insensitive to the people who suffered in the hurricanes that hit Florida and other states nearby. Suffering is suffering. It's pathetic to belittle one disaster and compare such things like it's a contest. I know that was most likely not your intent, but you could have worded it better. BTW, I didn't rate you down for it, I just thought it was careless wording. In light of that, I would have to agree about the lame PR stunts of politicians.
Edit: I just read your second post and agree with you there too. Jeb should be here in Florida . . . it's not like because the hurricanes are over people aren't still having problems . . . But I geuss it only matters if the disaster has the national spotlight.
Advertisement
Does bashing Bush like this really make you all feel that much cooler?
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
Here's my two cents.

"In the long run, there is no justice without freedom, and there can be no human rights without human liberty."

When Bush said this, I thought to myself, there's no freedom without justice either and it's a shame he didn't complete the turn of phrase but that would be asking too much from him. A tiger can't change it's stripes.

Watching the parade I was struck by something about the USA. As the most powerful nation on Earth, it would be quite easy for the US military to display all sorts of weaponry - tanks, missles, airplanes - but instead it was simply marching bands and riflemen. It made me wonder what kinds of parades other nations have. Do they have high school and college marching bands? How much of all that was uniquely American?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by GarlandIX
Does bashing Bush like this really make you all feel that much cooler?

I was going to say something to that effect in my post, but decided against it. Since you bring it up, I'm going to hazzard a guess and say that yes, in some cases it does. I don't mean to suggest that everybody who badmouths the President is doing so out of peer pressure. Although I suspect some people believe it of me, I'm not particularly fond of the guy.

However, its become clear that a good number of the vocal members of the Lounge are staunchly anti-Bush, and they will go to any ends to paint him in a bad light. Naturally, if one were to be trying hard to fit in [a common behavior amongst nerds, of which GameDev has more than its fare share], pretending to be so staunchly anti-Bush would be a pretty good way to do it. And so we get threads like this, which really do the intelligent Bush-bashers a disservice. They don't deserve to be lumped in with crap like this.

CM
CM: Well said. I think it's unfortunate that so many conservatives have either stopped coming here or keep quiet in political threads. Personally, I'd much rather read well-thought out opinions and presentation of facts from both sides.
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
However, its become clear that a good number of the vocal members of the Lounge are staunchly anti-Bush, and they will go to any ends to paint him in a bad light.

I figure Bush does almost all the work for me. :)

Seriously - yes, presidents have been employing speech writers for a long time, and it's a non-issue. That speech itself is scary, though, if not beautifully ironic. "No justice without freedom" - yes; so how about a bit more freedom within your borders while you're at it?
Quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
CM: Well said. I think it's unfortunate that so many conservatives have either stopped coming here or keep quiet in political threads. Personally, I'd much rather read well-thought out opinions and presentation of facts from both sides.

Me too.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by nicksterdomus
Quote:Original post by Stonicus"Yeah, we're all saved, Jebediah is here!!! He had some bad storms and handed out some water one day for a few minutes while the cameras where there. We had the single worst natural disater in all of man kind! What's the difference?! Cheer Jeb!"

I find that extremely insensitive to the people who suffered in the hurricanes that hit Florida and other states nearby. Suffering is suffering. It's pathetic to belittle one disaster and compare such things like it's a contest. I know that was most likely not your intent, but you could have worded it better. BTW, I didn't rate you down for it, I just thought it was careless wording. In light of that, I would have to agree about the lame PR stunts of politicians.
Edit: I just read your second post and agree with you there too. Jeb should be here in Florida . . . it's not like because the hurricanes are over people aren't still having problems . . . But I geuss it only matters if the disaster has the national spotlight.

Well, I never meant to belittle the Florida huricane victims, but if you or anyone finds that insensitive, you need to go take an anti-sensitivity class. That "oh no hurt my feelings" attitude is wearing thin, cuz we hear it all day all the time about everything.

My main point is what qualification does he have that someone else who gets paid in a department designed to handle such situations doesn't have? Was Jeb Bush the best choice to send over there? What got accomplished that was his doing that wouldn't have been accomplished if he didn't go? If he's not the only person in the government who could have handled the situation, I feel it is in the best interest to send someone over with NO appearance of conflict of interest or ulterior motive, seeing as how the government is supposed to work for us and all and make us feel ok and safe. I just find it very odd that of all people he would go there.

Quote:Original post by nicksterdomus

I'm sorry, but "Suffering is suffering" is such a simple way of putting it. Most of the people of Florida et al are probably going about their life now as if nothing happened (obviously those that lost loved ones aren't) - they had days of warning to move out / batten down the hatches and they were most likely insured against this kind of thing. The tsunami victims were going about their lives one moment, then lost everything the next without any warning - their familes, their home, everything. It will take them decades to recover from this.
I wouldn't (and never did) class Florida as a disaster (you get hurricanes of various strengths every year for one thing). The San Andreas fault giving way - now that would be a disaster.

Skizz
At least Jeb Bush isn't as obnoxious and dumb as his brother as he can speak english and spanish well and can present himself humble in front of a tv. Then again, I don't know much about him other than seeing him couple of times on tv during the hurricane season. I don't think it's a secret that special interest is responsible for putting Bushes into whitehouse. Again, everytime I hear tv reporters saying something about war on terror I cringe because they don't get it that it's us that cause these terrorists to come out of the woodwork. We shouldn't impose onto others what we think it's best for them especially when we don't even understand them in the first place. That just seems arrogant and wrong. If they ask us for help then that's different.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement