Advertisement

Crazy New Program

Started by November 20, 2000 10:14 PM
3 comments, last by Shannon Barber 23 years, 10 months ago
check out www.vmware.com You can run linux from within NT & NT from within Linux! (Not exactly the snappiest, but it works!)
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Although your enthusiasm is appriciated, this seems like kind of a pointless topic unrelated to games. I don''t mind helping people figure out their Linux problems so that they may work on games, and while VMWare has some limited use for games, it would be good if we could keep this message board on track.

I don''t mean to be a jerk; i''m happy to talk Linux-- as long as it has some relationship to game development, but if you want to talk about Linux in general, or products relating to it (in the case of VMWare), there are better places to do it.

-benc
Advertisement
Well, there is one fairly large game related benefit to VMWare. You can use it for testing purposes. I worked for a (non-game related) software company this past summer and they use VMWare to facilitate manual and automatic testing of their products. Since you can run any x86 operating system in virtual machine, you don''t have to have multiple computers or even a multi-boot machine. It is very handy. You can even run multiple OSes at the same time in different windows if you have a powerful enough system.

There. Now this thread is game related
Yeah, VMware is cool. There are other projects like that too, Plex86 and Bochs.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I am totally with you... this is a linux game dev post..not linux post....
VM don''t support DirectX beside did you ever try VM? or any other emulator? There is no way to write game this way.... way too slow Well...let''s talk about game....
If you want to use a free linux 3d engine here is one
http://radonlabs.de/
Microsoft paid for it.. cool ha..
Enjoy
Alex
"Get your drink on.. Get your smoke on.. Get your code on.. Get your game on.."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement