Second 19" LCD - the cheaper the better

Started by
5 comments, last by Sr_Guapo 18 years, 8 months ago
Ok, currently I have a Hyundai L90D+ 19" LCD on my desktop. I had to get rid of my CRT (due to its size), so I am having withdrawl from dual monitors. I want to get another 19" LCD, but I want something as cheap as possible. I honestly do not care about the specs as long as text is readable. DVI is not required (since I only have a VGA available on my GPU). I don't mind the brand or color or anything (within reason). A refurbished one is OK, but I would rather not buy a used one off ebay or anything. I was looking at the Acer AL1912, which I think I can get for around $210 new. Can anyone recommend anything cheaper? Thanks for any advice.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Advertisement
Have you taken a look at newegg.com? I have heard that they have cheap stuff there...
Quote:Original post by Moe
Have you taken a look at newegg.com? I have heard that they have cheap stuff there...

Yeah, I have been checking out all the major sites (newegg, ZZF, monarch, etc). I also looked at a few retail store sites (circuit city, best buy, staples, compUSA). The acer was the cheapest I found.
A little offtopic, but I don't want to start a new thread about it.
Since you are a dual monitor 'expert', I'd like to ask you a few questions.
1. I have a laptop, is it possible to use at the same time it's screen and an external monitor? I will test this Sunday I think, after I get the laptop hdd I just ordered.
2. When you play game,s for example, can you chose which monitor to use?
3. How do you put the mouse pointer on the other monitor, especially during a fullscreen game?
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
1. I have a laptop, is it possible to use at the same time it's screen and an external monitor? I will test this Sunday I think, after I get the laptop hdd I just ordered.

The majority of laptops only support switching from the internal (LCD) screen to an external (VGA output) one. You need to check if the über-powered GPU in your laptop - you do have one, right? - has an auxilliary output designed for concurrent use.

Quote:2. When you play game,s for example, can you chose which monitor to use?

So long as the game was not hardcoded to D3D_DEFAULT_ADAPTER or something like that, you can. Some may require you to start the game, then restore (minimize to windowed) and drag across. Others will require you to configure it under video settings.

Quote:3. How do you put the mouse pointer on the other monitor, especially during a fullscreen game?

Most setups by default place the second logical screen to the right of the first. This can be configured. To place the mouse pointer on the secondary screen, drag it across.
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, so I think it SHOULD support that. From looking in the laptop's manual, it indicates that it MIGHT support it (it was ambigous). I an't test it now because I have Linux installed on it, waiting for my new HDD so that I can install Windows and test it with the ATI drivers.
If you have a GPU that supports it, dual monitors *should* work. I assume the laptop has a VGA output somewhere? I know I can setup dual monitors on my mom's lappy (with an FX5200). I haven't tried on my T43 yet...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement