Advertisement

Favorite flavor of UNIX?

Started by April 09, 2006 05:58 PM
28 comments, last by chollida1 18 years, 3 months ago
Well i figured i was going to provide a windowing system, which provided an interface compatible with X calls, as well as gtk and such.

i thought everything looked like this:

--------------------| Application      |--------------------| X  | Gtk+  | Qt  |--------------------| Windowing System |--------------------

Where X, Gtk+ and Qt dont do much except for expose an interface for interacting with "Windowing System" to the application

i had hoped to provide "Windowing System" but maybe i need to look into the archetecture more

cheers
-Dan

[Edited by - Ademan555 on April 10, 2006 12:22:43 AM]
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Well it's more like this:
--------------------| Application      |--------------------| Gtk+   | Qt      |--------------------| Windowing System |--------------------

Where X IS the windowing system.
Advertisement
Before you decide that you want to write a windowing system from scratch, have a look at:

GGI Project
Fresco
Y Window System
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Allright, to top it off :-)

--------------------| Application      |--------------------|   Widget set     |  (Gtk, Qt)--------------------|  Window Manager  |  (Metacity, Comptiz)--------------------| Windowing System |  (X.org)--------------------

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I don't think any pure UNIXes exist anymore, but I am a big fan of the L4 microkernel. It's making big advances, and there are already some desktop *nix projects using it (and I think GNU HURD is transitioning to it in addition to Mach soon).

Microkernel designs are surprisingly justifiable nowadays; the thread overhead is minimal now that technology companies are moving towards multi-core designs.

Of course, if you're building a desktop operating system, you'll need userland to go with your pretty kernel, and probably stacks of drivers, a graphical environment, window managers, etc. It's a pretty significant chunk of work -- why not just write a better window manager for Linux? I'm working on a super-minimal one in my spare time.
Perhaps its more like this.
+-----------------------+| Application           |+-----------------------+| Gtk+      | Qt        |+-----------------------+    +-------------------+| Windowing Client Libs |    | Windowing Server  |------------------------+----+-------------------+|      OS Kernel                                 |+------------------------------------------------+

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Ademan555
What is everyone's favorite UNIX

Irix (Irix64)

Sure its old and 'bland' looking but its rock solid and has such a great compiler suite. Though maybe the 3D OpenGL data array viewer is a tad overkill for a debugger :D
Quote: Original post by Promit
Gonna have to go with BSD on that one...not any specific BSD, just the family as a whole.

Same, except I'll specify to FreeBSD for desktop, NetBSD for servers, OpenBSD for gateways/ubersecure servers.
Take a look at the 2.6.16 kernel. I'm going to try compile it myself if I've gained enough courage and experience. Lots of additions, speed improvements, etc. for what i've read from others users posts.
:D
L4Linux, 'cause I'm weird. It'd be nice to see Darwin ported to sit atop L4, it seems Mach is pulling it in to the dumps of late. And now Avie is gone, it could be possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement