🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C? C what?

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
Nope, not at all like HTML. In reality, HTML isn't a language at all -- its more like a file format.

I'd go buy a book to learn C++. Be warned though: knowing HTML won't help at all.

--TheGoop

Advertisement
You know Goop, you could have said that in a way which would have left him feeling much more encouraged. Something like:

Unforetunatly, HTML and C++ have very few similarities, however, if you are experienced with the creation of web pages, perhaps you know a little Java, or JavaScript, which is indeed very similar to C++. You can get a number of tutorials to learn C++ off the internet and you may wish to get a book to work through.

David

LOL, thanks David for the info. Infact, I do know alittle java script. So far, C is kinda like JS. print=prompt, kinda.
Welll, again thinks for the info. I still need alot more till I get to become Activision though. Hehe.
Bye
I didn't mean to discourage anyone -- he just seemed to have the misconception that knowledge of HTML would help.

I apologize if I made it sound like it was unbelievable tough to learn C++. It's not tough at all. After you learn C or C++ I would recommend you pick up "Tricks Of The Game Programming Gurus" or "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" -- both are excellent books for beginners.

Happy coding!
--TheGoop

Actually C is hard.

C is in fact unbelievably hard.

So hard that no mere mortal should attempt it.
Producers don't understand how hard it is, publishers don't understand how hard it, few people comprehend it enough to understand the intricacies to a degree at which they can begin to understand the sheer rigours that C coders face by merely attempting to write a Hello World program.
Do not attempt it, do not let your friends near it, don't look at a screen containing it, don't leave your granny in a room with a computer running it.

C can kill.

Leave it to the trained proffesionals.
Daring men and women (but mostly men, let's face it) who risk their lives, day in, day out, taking on the dangerous, nay deadly task, that is C coding.
A task so deadly that if they were to make one false move they could find themselves badly or even fatally injured.

C is not a game.
You have been warned.

HEY MIKE! DONT DISQURAGE ME! Huh! How is C so hard? I dont realy understand how it can be so hard? is it because C just got you in trouble? You are now figureing out that, Ohh O! If the public get the C language down, I CAN BE OUT OF WORK!?? Well tell those "pros" out there that they have another thing coming! Hehe, see ya soon at the top of the line.
"And happing Coding"
Tyler
Okay, C's easy.
Just don't tell anyone.
Alright.
Else I'll send the lads round with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.
You got that?
Sorted.
C and C++ are not the easiest languages to learn, maybe if you want to start writing games it is worth starting out with something which isolates you from more of the painful aspects of programming like Visual Basic, especialy now it has native support in DX7.

Please don't be put off by this, I just feel that if you have very little programming experience then C or C++ isn't the place to start.

Yeah sure, you can write a mock-up (scuse' my french) of almost anything in a short time period in VB, C, C++, Java or whatever, but writing a useable piece of software (commercial or otherwise) takes a lot more than that.

Not to discourage anyone, but software development is NOT EASY, and games development is by far the most difficult dicipline of all. Simply because it includes bits and pieces of all other major SW development diciplines.

My advice to any newbee is:

Never mind the language, learn to understand the computer and how it works. Write a small app that keeps track of your CD's (do it in VB if that takes your fanzy) and work your way up from there, but DON't start out with a game and hope to finish it, because you won't.

A very optimistic guess is that, if you stay focused, you'll be ready to write a professional quality game 7 or 8 years from the day you start learning the art of software development.

/Niels

[This message has been edited by Niels (edited September 28, 1999).]

<b>/NJ</b>
Woah, these guys sound pretty darn heavy handed.
Okay, if you want to know how difficult it is to write a complete, sellable, on the shelf game, well I'll tell you.
It takes multiple programmers, many months.
By multiple programmers I mean usually at least half a dozen and anywhere up to dozens depending on the game (FF VII had _hundreds_ of people working on it).
By many months I mean 18 - 24.
However, I could write you a game of pong or arkanoid today, with simple graphics, in about a week.
If you want to know how hard it is to write your first program in C, well, it's not.
Get a book, be willing to take a long time making stupid mistakes and type out what it tells you. You'll start with programs that will impress nobody and but you'll constantly progress until you can get complex concepts like DirectX under your belt.
Keep up with learning maths, don't be afraid of concepts that seem impossible (it took me 6 months to learn what my A-level teacher meant with linked lists, I can't understand what was so hard now) and keep with it.
I guarantee you'll never stop learning, I also guarentee you'll get there.

Good luck

Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement