Lesson 18???

Started by
7 comments, last by strates 23 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I have recently finished reading Lesson 18, and have been working on getting it to run for quite some time now. It compiles fine, and asks me if I would like to run in fullscreen, but when I push either yes or no, it creates the window and then displays the initilization failed. According to the comments in lesson one, that message means there has been an error in initgl. The confusing part is the my init gl is exactly the same as the sample codes. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Advertisement
I think the error message should be that it can not change color depth. Take a look at the hack that was mentioned in the news recently:
http://sites.netscape.net/ptrpck/switch.zip
What are you talking about? could you please a bit more clear?

strates
If you are trying to run the NeHe tutorials in full screen and the program can not change the color depth do you get an error message. That message says something that the mode is not supported by the graphics card. This is not really true since the problem is that the color depth can not be changed.

This may or may not be the that happens to your program.
Thank you, but that wasnt my problem, it won''t work in either fullscreen or windowed mode.

When I put the sample code into my project it works, but when I recompile with my code, it doesnt.

I guess I will just have to go threw line by line and see where the difference is.

Thanks once again,
strates
Initialisation Failed also appears if it looks for the texure and cant find it. It is probably not your problem, but if you take the source into a project in another folder, don''t forget to take the Data/Gfx file with it or at least alter the coding to tell it where the bitmaps, level data etc are.
See ya
Does your compiler create the exe in a \debug or \release folder? In that case the data folder should be copied into this directory.

Just a guess. Works fine for me...

best regards
JohnE
I am using visual studios 6.0, so it creates the exe in the /debug folder. I have not had to copy the data folder into that folder on any of the previous projects. Despite that, copying the data folder into the debug folder did not change anything, same erro message. Thanks for the idea though.

strates
It was mentioned that this error occurs when you''re switching your colour depth.... Try checking the colour depth of your desktop (right click any free area on your desktop, choose properties from the menu, then select the settings tab at the top of the display properties window and find your colour depth there). Make sure that your GL app is running in the same colour depth as the one selected in your desktop display panel. Also, please note that if you''re using a Voodoo3 or lower accelerator, you may not be able to use anything higher than 16 bit colour mode. Give it a shot, and at least you can rule out the colour depth issue as a problem should this prove to not solve the issue...

--David

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement