writing an rpg

Started by
2 comments, last by OoMMMoO 23 years, 2 months ago
I need some advice I have an rpg Im working on I have characters their goals descriptions, and basically everything needed for a story but how do I write it? should I do it like a screen play? Im not quite sure it I do it that way wont it be kind of linear?
Advertisement
wow, this is certainly a question with a lot of different answers none of which are right or wrong.

I think the closest thing to answering this is to just ask yourself how linear you want it. The more linear something is the more you can tell the story the way you want it. The more you let the player interfere in your story the less control you have. It's one of those things where there's no definitive answer.

Of course it's not that cut & dry, but there is some truth to this.

You could have a basic story and perhaps let the player play on different sides of the story based upon how good/bad, honest/dishonest, etc the player is.

You could have a story and just have a few spots where the player can change a few things. If you try to individually account for every way the player can interact w/ your story and how it will react, it can get intesnse really fast (Tree of Death).

There is Bishop's Situation Generator and Wav's ideas of strategy being applied to plot.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers

Edited by - Nazrix on March 26, 2001 10:24:48 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Thanks I think I will srite it similar to a script and just make choices for the player that leads to different options and script each choice available but write them organized.
Okay good luck

Here''s something that may help. Storyboarding.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement