Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Really, for what reasons do we make games?

Started by Luckless Mar 26, 2007 at 9:06 AM 15 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
Luckless
Luckless
For myself, the answer is fairly straight forward. It lets me do most of the things I've wanted to do in life, without having to actually do them. I have a wide range of interests, ranging from visual and written arts, to engineering and architecture, and far too many things in between. I've always enjoyed robotics, and studying how humans interact with each other, tools, and the general world around them. Designing and programming games gives me such freedom to do all of that. Why spend years going to school so I can be licenced to design a skyscraper, and then work my ass off to find someone to fund the project, when I can make said dream skyscraper as the focal point of a game? I could spend ages developing my skills in traditional visual arts, learning to paint better, but then I wouldn't have as much time to play with my other life goals in a manner that is as 'real' as a virtual world. Games let me explore art and design, human interaction with machines, writing, and I can let as many other people view this exploration as I please. (not that I have anything I'm willing to admit I programmed yet, but still working on that.) Oh, and they're fun to play when finished too. Other's thoughts and views on the idea?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
jbadams
jbadams
I've always enjoyed playing video games, and had great fun experimenting with small modifications to them when I was younger.

I also enjoy problem solving, and therefore also quite like programming.

It seemed natural to try out making games, and I found that even when I was just starting out and unable to get any results I really enjoyed everything I was learning.
- Jason Astle-Adams
thelovegoose
thelovegoose
For me Its a case of passing on inspiration, and the same reasons as above.
I've been inspired by loads of things people have done/made, including some games (monkey island being the first i think).
I can and intend to pass that inspiration on by making something great and maybe even moving/eye opening - the objective of most artists.
It could have been by being a footballer, a film director etc, but I feel my natural abilities and love to play best suit me to making games.

BeanDog
BeanDog
I do it to show off to my friends. Also, I've been doing it for 15 years, and old habits die hard [smile]
gunning
gunning
For the same reason any entertainer performs: it makes people happy and provides them an escape from the stresses of everyday life. What can be wrong with that?
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
TheUnbeliever
TheUnbeliever
Because I like sizeable/unending projects.
Because developing an operating system didn't impress many people (what's that? A set of As and Bs, printed in a seemingly arbitrary pattern; and no, I don't care if it responds to pings).
Because it's kinda fun to play them even if I'm not much of a gamer

EDIT: What the? I just posted this and yet according to the time on the post, I managed to post it about 4 and a half hours backwards in time - and still manage to be the most recent post. o/O
[TheUnbeliever]
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
My major motivation for making entertainments is probably "the world sucks, let's make a nice dream to escape into". I see the ideal computer game as improving upon the novel by making it interactive and prettily illustrated. Beyond that I like game dev because it is always collaborative and I am much more motivated to work on a collaborative project then a solitary one.
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
eal
eal
Making games gives people the ability to create simple universes and play god. That's what it is for me anyways, incorporating all my favorite ideas to create the ideal game (in my mind). Plus, when it's something other people can enjoy, that adds to the reward of the experience.

And games themselves, it's about the escape \ living your dreams.
Phantom Sage
Phantom Sage
Because the devil tells me that it must be done.
necreia
necreia
It's the next best thing to creating life itself-- It scratches a creative itch in a way nothing else can.
Jovan
Jovan
Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
Because it's hard.


zedz
zedz
to push myself ( + cause i like solving + creating things + are very driven )
eg other hobbies, writing + recording music, weightlifting etc ie things with goals.
mntlinstituteflr
mntlinstituteflr
Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
It seemed natural to try out making games, and I found that even when I was just starting out and unable to get any results I really enjoyed everything I was learning.


Kazgoroth, that is so true...

I make games (or try to ;)) because it's simply an interest of mine. There is often a common stereotype that all gamers or game designers people with no lives and this is certainly not true. But it is a thing I do like to spend a lot of time on. I work myself hard now so that I someday when I'm older may have a possible career in game design. Overally, it's just a hobby of mine, to hopefully become a career.
Machaira
Machaira
Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
I love playing games
I love programming
I love programming games


QFT! If I make a couple bucks by doing it, so much the better. [grin]
Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.