Advertisement

ping pong type game, need advice

Started by
0 comments, last by Nyarlath 16 years ago
I wanted to make a ping pong game and was needing some advice. I wanted to make it a windows app with a semi 3d view. My idea was to have a 3/4 view perspective view of the table and was wondering if I would need to use a graphical engine and physics libraries. I wanted fairly realistic bouncing of the ball. I was going to use C++ for this, also was thinking about using Directx. I don't know much about engines but I definitely do not want to remake the wheel so to speak. Suggestions as to engines and physics is welcome.
I think that you don't need an engine; for the graphics you will find all what you need in some basic DirectX example.

The gravity on the sphere is actually simple to implement (constant acceleration along the y-axis) and beside that you have nothing else than sphere-plane collisions (and non-negligible friction between ball and air); this is actually not trivial-trivial, but it is well-known and you would for sure find a solution faster than learning how to use a good (= complex) engine.

Forget what I said if you want an realistic representation of the human-beings playing ping-pong! ;p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement