How do you get started in this business? Help!

Started by
1 comment, last by B1tChMagnet 24 years, 6 months ago
It's harder than you're probably thinking it is.

Your best bet is to "pay your dues" by working as a cog (programmer, or even QAer) for a real game company... then, after you've earned a good reputation, to stake out on your own.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Advertisement
I'm a graduating CS Major, and the primary reason i got into CS was to create games. Me and a group of friends are thinking of establishing our own game development company. The problem is, we don't know how to go about it. I'm from the Philippines, and the game developing business isn't exactly a booming industry here. There aren't any game developers or publishers here that I know of. I can't let that stop my childhood dream of creating my own worlds, though. Can anyone out there help me? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You might try this approach:

Get a job using your CS degree. Plenty of demand for programmers in all industries. Then do your game development in your spare time (which you'll find you have a lot of once you get out of college *assuming* you stay single... ;-) ). This way you get to pick up real experience (and get fed) while still pursuing your real interest.

I'm assuming, of course, that you or someone in your group has a do-able game idea and the group of you can organize yourself sufficiently to get it done. This means that you don't try to beat Quake 3 or Ultima Online or EverQuest (or just about any high-end commercial game) your first time out of the gate.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement