CivSims

Started by
2 comments, last by joeG 24 years, 6 months ago
There are many other games similar to Civ, its just that making a game of that type is relatively simple so most of the ones that are made, while not having as good of graphics, and are of a reasonably high quality are accually free to use. Look around on the net in game sites under simulations, or strategy. One site with a couple is http://nxn.netgate.net then use the link to Web Games.

As to Micromanagement It could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it is implemented. Its perfectly ok to have algorithms handle most of the functions of your countries management as long as you have veto power, and they don't do anything too major without your consent. try looking at that page I mentioned it has a pretty good one that you can play for 4 hours for free, and that should be long enough to get a handle on how they did that type of thing. I think they had about the right combination of micromanagement with player control.

------------------
DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu

DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu
Advertisement
I dont think there are a glut of these games at all, but i would dispute the idea that they are easy, Im finding coding a sim type game to be vastly more difficult than a standard shootemup, and there isnt much in the way of literature on how to go about it like there is with RTS or FPS games.
IMHO the type of people that play these games are big micro-management fans, personally I like the level of detail to eb as high as possible, but possibly the best choice is for automatic micro-management of items to take over automatically if you dont pay an object enough attention. Its also essential to give the user a choice of exactly how detailed the management should be.

------------------

Alright everyone. Two questions.
1.) Do you think the civSim is still a young genre (the same guy (Sid Meier) making all the games) or do you think there's a glut (of which, I don't perceive any).
2.) How much micro-managmenet is too much in a civSim? IOW, which options (options meaning managing national utilities or having lobbyists influence your ability to rule your civ) would discourage a player. What would the most detailed option that you would let in your game?
joeG
Yeah, totally agree (probably would do that last).

Turtle-
I was a little confused when you said civ sims were 'easy.' What did you mean?

BTW, all these icons are great (especially the crybaby one)!

joeG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement