Original Post
I did a quick search on the forums and didn't see a relevant post about my question. The articles that were almost what I was looking for were at least 5 years old, so I figured it couldn't hurt to see what people think today.
First, a little background:
I'm a Computer Science student with most of my programming experience focused in Java and I've started learning game development by screwing around in Eclipse and trying to figure out some stuff on my own, as well as following some simple tutorials online to get me moving in the right direction. I also have a bit of experience with Python and I love the language.
And now for my question...
Basically I'm looking for opinions about using Python vs using Java for 2d game development. I'm really hoping to get people on both sides of the fence so I get hear the best and worst of both languages.
I won't be using any engines for my games (now or in the future) because I'm a bit stubborn and want to build all the engines I use myself. The most I would think about using would be Slick2d with Java or PyGame with Python.
Anyway, I hope you guys can give me some great insights on both languages. Thanks for reading
First, a little background:
I'm a Computer Science student with most of my programming experience focused in Java and I've started learning game development by screwing around in Eclipse and trying to figure out some stuff on my own, as well as following some simple tutorials online to get me moving in the right direction. I also have a bit of experience with Python and I love the language.
And now for my question...
Basically I'm looking for opinions about using Python vs using Java for 2d game development. I'm really hoping to get people on both sides of the fence so I get hear the best and worst of both languages.
I won't be using any engines for my games (now or in the future) because I'm a bit stubborn and want to build all the engines I use myself. The most I would think about using would be Slick2d with Java or PyGame with Python.
Anyway, I hope you guys can give me some great insights on both languages. Thanks for reading