🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finding the right crew to hire

Started by
10 comments, last by Orymus3 6 years, 11 months ago

Open World MMO RPG on Mobile?

500k is a realistic figure for development, but let's not forget server hosting fees. Assuming this is an MMO, there should be over 100 000 players for this to even be considered a moderate success, and even assuming a well optimized pipeline, that's a lot of bandwidth.

Even if your team somehow does it for free, that game is gonna cost ya, and that's not something 'indians' can do anything about.

As for the team, I think the bare minimum skillset to meet (how many individuals are required is up to the individuals themselves) are as follows:

- Management experience (and previous titles released). If your entire team is composed of rookies, your managers can't be.

- Development / Programming, specifically in a fullstack capacity (Frontend / Backend)

- Gameplay Development / Programming, specifically with game logic, physics, graphics, etc.

- Artistic Capacity. If you're shooting for a 3D game, you'll need someone able to handle Modeling, Rigging, Texturing and Animating (that can be as much as 4 different people, though there are skilled generalists that might do a decent job at more than one).

- Game / Level Design with the ability to balance and create content and especially game rules. That person should also have the ability to communicate efficiently with the rest of the team.

- Audio Design, or someone with the ability to identify sounds off audio platforms to be purchased (which may be cheaper, on occasion!)

Your team might be just 1 very solid know-it-all, or 50 people, depending on who you meet. I'll admit the likelihood of having a 1 person team is near 0, but Minecraft was originally made by just one guy, so can't dismiss the possibility.

If you intend on putting together a team, you'll need to find a creative way to make it hold together, especially if it is geographically distributed. That's generally where your management guy will come in: establishing communication tools and practices (I suggest starting out with Trello, or anything as 'simple' with some video conference and chat system such as skype).

Since you came to us about what team you'd need, that's the info I can give you, but I can only express skepticism at your previous posts, especially with regards to 'greedy american' vs 'indian' which I feel demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the subtle differences there. If this was all there was about it, given India is about 1 billion strong, all of the games we play today would likely be made in India or China, and though I respect the fact India has a LOT of GREAT developers, one must carefully consider the fact that the entertainment industry still has a firm hold in North America specifically (where the 3 major hubs of game development are located to begin with).

In other words, there's a reason why games often get made here (and get made better) as there are very specific skills related to game development which are earned by working on other games and that these hubs contribute to the sharing of these skills. Going on price alone might build something that looks like a game, but misses the point completely. The original post did not let us know whether the intent was to make a good product, but I have assumed that any game should seek to at least be good, and assuming that, the best chances of achieving it are 'still' to work with a 'greedy american' or anyone that knows a thing or two about gamedev in general.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement