Where is there a place for Story Tellers?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 6 months ago

I have always loved video games and in the last few years I've been trying to learn how to make them. While I'm learning and practicing and growing in many areas, my real strength has always been in story telling. I've been imaging stories, worlds and characters all my life. So far, the only way I've shared them is word of mouth. Explaining them to friends about them when hanging out. Telling them to girlfriends when cuddling for a sort of "story time". I've gotten a reputation for being rather good at "Story Telling". Problem is, I'm not good at writing.

I've often thought that I could really make something great within the medium of video games though. So, in the business world of game design, is there a place for Story Tellers? Where I could build a world and the story of the characters in it, and work with the team of developers to make it into a product? And how would I find a position like that?

Because, I truly think I could be great at that. I've thought before that If I could find the right person to show it to, I could put together a sort of portfolio, showcasing a selection of, lets say, 3 concepts. With summaries of the World, characters, plot, etc. I really feel I have a gift for this, and many other people have recognized the same. I just need to know where to take this gift to use it.

Advertisement

It's called being a Story Writer, if that answers your question.

Where I could build a world and the story of the characters in it, and work with the team of developers to make it into a product?

You work along with other game designers, but the general point here is to try to collaborate with the entire team.

You build a story while talking to quest designers, level designers, world designers, you advise them and they advise you.

Another name for the job is Narrative Designer. But writing is a prerequisite.

And most of the time, the narrative designer has to create within the game designer's vision (for instance, the game designer says the game takes place in a zombie world, not a Marvel superhero world). You can't expect that an original story by a narrative designer is going to become the basis of a game that gets funding.  

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement