Drawing a big elliptical arena

Started by
5 comments, last by arnero 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys! I'm part of a small group that's developing a minigame in an arena. We need to create an arena about 10 times bigger than a normal screen (let's say something about 10x 1920*1080) so it will be a pretty big arena. We're using a tile system in Unity, so we need to create small tiles of that colosseum-style arena and place them into Unity. I usuallly use Gimp to create every texture, and it works flawlessy for everything, but I've never created something this big. If I wanted to create one image of that in Gimp and then slice it to obtain the tiles, I would create a ~19200 * 10800 image, and that's huge! I don't think this is the right solution. So, do you know any drawing programs that can fix our problem? Maybe something that's made to draw very big things. We're searching for some CAD program where you can create a huge image with it, and then it automatically slices it.

Advertisement

“Tiled” is free, and is good for making icon-based maps. Though this might not be what you're looking for.

One potential solution that might work for you is to work at a lower resolution, then scale up for each level of detail.
IE: Make a full size “rough draft” image at 1920 by 1080. Cut it into fifths, (5x5, 25 images total), scale them up by about 2x, (Each being at 4k resolution), polish them off, then scale up again if needed. However this is a big undertaking, and for a minigame, it might be worth considering how much time you actually want to dedicate to this.

Perhaps the ideal solution for you might be to work with vector graphics, using something like “Macromedia Fireworks” or “Adobe Illustrator”. Vector graphics are designed with scaling in mind, and could make drawing an especially large image far easier. Both options i think use a thing called “artboards”, and i believe you could use this to automatically splice the full image when saved into the desired size, as either vector graphics, or rasterized, while still allowing you to work on the entire image at once.

I do not understand this “slice” thing. Would you first create a tileset, which easily fits onto your screen, with a given, fixed grid, and then later on assign each tile to a key on your keyboard and type in the map? I only know C64 and NES, so maybe I got that wrong.

I you like ellipses, why don't u just go vector and draw it using 100 polys?

Draw tiles and assemble them; it's the only way to retain flexibility in arena shape and size, which you'll need to tweak and vary.

Note that in a 3D engine tiles need not follow a rectangular grid; for example, you can draw a rectangular section of the arena border, or of arena seats, and then bend it to arbitrary curvilinear shapes, with texture mapping onto a finely sliced triangle strip that approximates your arena shape very closely.

Another option at your disposal: decals that can be scattered over a bland base texture to add details, either randomly or as landmarks. There is no point in drawing and slicing a whole arena's worth of slightly different stains, pebbles, skid marks etc: repeat them to reduce cost, improve order and flexibility (e.g. you would be able to replace all medium blood stains), and increase consistency.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

To elaborate on my last reply, and to fact check myself, I went ahead and made a quick example of how you would use artboards in illustrator to accomplish this.

https://imgur.com/a/JSS4cg7

Now I want some
quadrilaterals demo

While the Saturn was technologically advanced, it was also complex, difficult, and unintuitive to write games for. In particular, programming 3D graphics that could compete with those on Nintendo and Sony's consoles proved exceptionally difficult for third-party developers. Because the Saturn used quadrilaterals, rather than triangles, as its basic polygon, cross platform games had to be completely rewritten to see a Saturn port.

on the saturn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement