How much early art have you shared?

Started by
2 comments, last by taby 4 years, 3 months ago

Hello everybody,

the question is basically the topic name:

How much early art have you shared during development?

When you are making a devlog (or even in social media) is it better to share early/rough sketches/concept art and early art gameplay (as long as it is tagged as so) OR hide the ugliness from your potential buyers?

Do you think that having this rough visuals helps to gain interest in your game OR people might discard you outright because they think it is not visually appealing or looks amateurish?

Steam probably is not the place to show rough art, but I mean in: Gamedev.net, Itch.io devlog, Tumbler, Instagram…

Advertisement

It really depends. When you're posting in a community that caters to developers and artists then there will be a different appreciation for the early drafts and for how you progress forward. I personally wouldn't put anything too rough if the intent is to build interest for a ‘gaming’ community due to the judgement factor. If someone sees your art and assumes the game actually looks like that and the art isn't up to marketing standards you might do more harm than good.

The key factor is to put yourself in the consumer's shoes. First impressions are everything.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I think it was Picasso who said that an artwork remains in flux for all of eternity, or something like that. Sharing your artwork will hopefully inspire people to create their own artworks. Here is an image rendered using OpenGL 1.x. My goal is to render it using OpenGL 4.x.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement