I would like some feedback on sprite shading.

Started by
6 comments, last by zehailiu 3 years, 11 months ago
This is a sprite for a game I'm working on. I am relatively new when it comes to proper shading and would like feedback and tips so I can make it look even better. I think it looks okay but it feels like something is missing. Got any suggestions?

None

Advertisement

The original shading looks better to me, becasue shape > shading. It looks very good, and i don't see something wrong or room for improvement. It's perfect.

I only wonder how's the background. If background has black contours too, it could be hard to notice the sprite because contour is thin, which seems a general problem with bringing old school pixel art to modern high resolutions.
Solution could be to use colored contours for the background (with similar color than the shaded surface just a bit darker) and reserving black for important stuff, or eventually make sprite contours 2 pixels wide.

In any case there is nothing to criticize without context of backgrounds to me.

@JoeJ Thank you! With these guys, the background will be pale yellow with darker yellow contours (sand) or a light sky blue. I tested several colors as the background, and they all look fine (except for maybe pure black) but thank you very much for the compliment! I might darken the shading by a tiny margin depending on how dark or light the room is.

None

@TheLuckyDonut Hey there, nice work!

Since it seems like a cartoony/cute style, I might try using a more saturated color for the shaded areas to liven it up.

And put it into the background/environment as soon as possible, since colors and values will appear different to the eye depending on what's around it, you probably won't arrive at the final look that is best for you until you put it into an environment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement