Student Looking for constructive feedback

Started by
2 comments, last by green.B3457 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello everyone,

I am a student working to become a Character Artist within the gaming industry at some point in the future. I'm still learning how to get better at 3D modelling, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ?

Link to my portfolio: https://www.makalagordon.com/

Head Model [WIP]

None

Advertisement

hmmm… i would not be very convinced. Some critique on the above image:

• Want's the dirt on the left side of the chin? Is it dirt, or a shading artifact? It's not clear if intended or mistake.
  • There are tears, but the face lacks expression. Is she sad or is it just default modeling pose with no expression intended but tears drawn over?
  • Use light coming from the side, not the exact front. It looks way too symmetric and unnatural as shown.
  • You lack detailed understanding of anatomy. The tendons on the neck are wrong, also the bones above breast. I know how hard this is… showing no such details at all is better than having them wrong.
  • It's not clear if the model should be ‘beautiful girl’ or ‘next door girl with potato nose’. I mean, it has a bit of both? This makes' me think: If i hire this guy, he might be unable to nail a certain given direction.

Looking at you Portfolio, adding some more critique on this (hand drawn cowboy girl in case image does not show up):

https://www.makalagordon.com/uploads/2/6/0/7/26073689/jayne.jpg

• The strokes are not that good - a bit wobbly, e.g. the stroke from chin to ear, or the lasso rope.
  • You draw 6 facial expressions, but you use the same head contours for all of them? No! Different expression changes the whole head a bit - draw it all from scratch each time. This would also proof you actually can draw the same face with different expressions, and it's still the same person. From the image it also is not clear you could draw the face from different angles. How would front view look like? Or from the side?
  • There is lots of conflict with high and low frequency details. Braces and earrings. Personally i would remove the earring or make it larger, and try to simplify the braces to avoid so many fine strokes in those areas for clarity.

However, it's not all that bad. Overall it shows some talent but requires much more practice.
(I remember all those issues from my own experience. I became better with time, but never ‘perfect’. But good enough to make a living from it for some years.)

Actually times are bad… probably i fail to sound very motivating… sorry for that. But i hope it's still helpful response ; )

I like the majority of your work.

How long have you been modelling characters for?

Your under-detailed cartoons leave a lot for the imagination and are as good as most cheap CGI characters.

Like Joe said, when you go into creating detailed, realistic characters, you’ve missed out a lot about human anatomy.

It’s not that she doesn’t look real, it’s just that she looks like a ‘50s industrial wax figure, and not a living, breathing human.

Good luck in the future, Makala. Don’t give up.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement