[FREE / PAID] We Love Indies: Professional Sounds and Music for Indie Games

Started by
2 comments, last by WeLoveIndies 3 years, 10 months ago

We Love Indies - Sound and Music for Games

Hey there,

with the help of Dynamedion (Europe's largest Game Audio Studio) and BOOM (one of the largest sound effect providers), I'm currently developing a game audio platform, especially for independent game developers.

My goal is to create a handy and useful online tool for all game developers to find, bundle, share and download everything you need, to create a really well sounding game without any file hussle, registrations or financial risks. I hope and think I'm now far enough to go out and ask for feedback and suggestions:

https://www.weloveindies.com/en

• Do you find the page useful and straight-forward?
  • Are you missing some functions or having other suggestions?
  • Do you think, our licences and prices are fair?

I'm very happy about every tip or feedback!

Andreas

Advertisement

• Do you find the page useful and straight-forward?

For the most part, although I haven't tried actually buying anything. I found the pricing calculator awkward to use. The table of prices in the FAQ was much more helpful for getting an overview.

I noticed that if I want exactly 26 sounds, it would be cheaper to buy one bundle A and one bundle B instead of buying a bundle C. Is this allowed?

Also, I noticed that you don't have a license for budgets over 250000€. Doesn't affect me personally, but seems strange.

• Are you missing some functions or having other suggestions?

English-speaking countries tend to use dots to write decimals, and use commas or spaces to separate groups of digits. So instead of 250.000€, it might be better to write 250,000€ or 250 000€.

In the FAQ under cost, it says “Please check out our Terms & Conditions, if you have further questions.” However, the underlined text is not a hyperlink that takes me to the terms and conditions as expected.

• Do you think, our licences and prices are fair?

I'm not fond of per-project licensing. My first concern is that it's ambiguous what exactly constitutes a “project”. For example, which of the following would be considered a new project?

• A minor update for an existing game.
  • A major update for an existing game.
  • An enhanced rerelease of an existing game.
  • A complete remake of an existing game.
  • A port of an existing game.
  • A port of an existing game with new content.
  • DLC for an existing game.
  • A demo for an existing game.
  • A new episode in an existing series.
  • A bundle of multiple games, sold as a single unit.
  • A sequel to an existing game.
  • A standalone prologue to an existing game, distributes for free as a demo.
  • A game embedded in another game.
  • The same game embedded into multiple other games.
  • A single game broken up and sold as multiple standalone episodes.

My other concern is that I have is that when it comes time for me to write a sequel for my first game using the assets from the first game, you might no longer be around, leaving me with no way to by a new license for the original assets. However, this is much less of a concern for audio assets than for graphical assets, because audio assets are easier to replace.

Prices look like they're in the industry standard range. I can't say I'm happy about having to spend at least 50€ even if I just need a single second of audio, but it's a price I'm willing to pay if my game really needs that particular second of audio. It would be nice if there were a price category between S and M, for monetized games with a budget of less 5000€.

Hey,

thank you so much for your answer and your time - that really helps me a lot! You are amazing!

I'll just jump right into your text:

a light breeze said:
I haven't tried actually buying anything. I found the pricing calculator awkward to use. The table of prices in the FAQ was much more helpful for getting an overview

That's good to know! I'm currently working on the "Pricing" page to be more clearly here with the bundle system - at the moment the bundles are visible when you hover over the (i) after SOUND and MUSIC within the chest - or after selecting a license in the overlay.

a light breeze said:
I noticed that if I want exactly 26 sounds, it would be cheaper to buy one bundle A and one bundle B instead of buying a bundle C. Is this allowed?

Thats okay, yes - but at the moment you would need to make two orders for that. However, in my experience often the developers didn't need such an exact amount of sounds, but rather a good all-round - solution, which is why I decided to implement a bundle system.

a light breeze said:
Also, I noticed that you don't have a license for budgets over 250000€. Doesn't affect me personally, but seems strange.

We Love Indies rather focusses on the smaller and middle-sized independent game scene, whereas large studios work with the main label - Dynamedion. This is why we don't have really large licences within this website. But you plan something on that scale, just get back to me! ?

a light breeze said:
English-speaking countries tend to use dots to write decimals, and use commas or spaces to separate groups of digits. So instead of 250.000€, it might be better to write 250,000€ or 250 000€.

&

a light breeze said:
In the FAQ under cost, it says “Please check out our Terms & Conditions, if you have further questions.” However, the underlined text is not a hyperlink that takes me to the terms and conditions as expected.

Thanks a lot, I'll change it! <3

a light breeze said:
I'm not fond of per-project licensing. My first concern is that it's ambiguous what exactly constitutes a “project”. For example, which of the following would be considered a new project?

It's really good, that you mention your concern regarding what is considered as new projects. This will definitely make it in the FAQ!

It was a long progress to work out a pricing system with our demands. My idea was to make the pricing as risk-free as possible, including individual licences and bundles - everything without any subscription plans:

• Completely free assets for pitches, prototypes and student projects
  • Project based prices starting from <1€ per SFX

a light breeze said:
My other concern is that I have is that when it comes time for me to write a sequel for my first game using the assets from the first game, you might no longer be around, leaving me with no way to by a new license for the original assets.

Since the "parents" of WeLoveIndies (Dynamedion and BOOM) are around for several decades now, I hope we don`t disappear that quickly. :-)
Also, our teams of sound designers and composers handcraft all of this sounds - so we are the original creator of everything we offer.

a light breeze said:
It would be nice if there were a price category between S and M, for monetized games with a budget of less 5000€.

Thats good to know - we should definately consider that!

Again, thank you very much!
Andreas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement