First time developing concerns

Started by
4 comments, last by Netaid 3 years, 8 months ago

I am wanting to build a 2-D game and I have a pretty good idea of what I want story wise and game play wise. But I am concerned of some issues that might (un)expectantly pop up during development. Such as some legality things, I've heard that making an LLC is pretty necessary while others say don't bother and just be a sole proprietor. Then there is the issue of me having very little talent with artwork or music/sound design outside of some rudimentary abilities. I would prefer not to use store bought assets as I am on a budget, but if it becomes necessary for me I will just have to save I guess.

What are ways I can avoid these concerns (if they're even worth worrying about) and what are some other things a first time developer should be wary of that I haven't thought of yet?

Advertisement

The company type is important when you spend tax deductible expenses and when you pay taxes on business income. And when signing contracts with vendors. If you are just going to work solo, you can set up the company type when the time comes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Legality will be an issue if you get more people working on the game with you. Mainly, the legal issue will be “who gets what when/if the game gets sold." Similarly, if you end up asking for help, the first things the help will need to know are Will This Be Sold, and Will I Be Compensated For Helping?

At the point where you are, though, just keep that in mind for later while you work on the game.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Thank you everyone, this all helps a lot!

By the way, you feel like you need help with art/music creating for your game you can hire a freelancer. Yes, it might be an issue to explain what exactly should be done, but if you have this strict vision of how it should looks/sounds they are a good choice.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement