Looking for advice on new indie game

Started by
1 comment, last by Orymus3 3 years, 3 months ago

Hello.

I recently started develop on my first ever indie game. I am not working with a team, but working solo. I was looking into publishing my game on steam when it's complete, but I feel intimidated by all the paperwork and agreements I need to sign. I was also looking into publishing it on itch.io, but I feel the userbase isn't large enough. I would greatly appreciate any advice on where I should publish my game.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

If you feel the paperwork is intimidating on Steam, revenue might get worse once you start filing for applicable taxes, etc.

In my experience, barrier to entry on steam is very thin and it's a good place to be. Itch.io is, however, friendlier to newcomers.

As such, I would probably ground this decision in your own expectations of how the game will be faring. If you expect you may not be up to spec with a lot of other viable games on the market, Itch.io may be a better option, but always bear in mind publishing content on these platforms comes with a lot of redtape whichever way you do so (in fact, up to recently, one could push games live to Kongregate, which is even simpler, until the IRS would step in after you made your first few dollars!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement