How much does it cost to get my game in a private server?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 1 month ago

Hi, i want to make an RPG game and run it in a private server to make it a multiplayer game. The question is how should a server be to serve me well in this purposes, and see if i can afford it. I would also want to know the costs on having the server online and fix it continously, as well as law stuff. The Game will be made for me, so its zero cost, but i dont know how to administrate a server.

The Game will be like ikariam, and i want to introduce an ingame currency so people buy it with real money to improve certain stuff. But it will be not much demanding for a server. Thats why i plan on having my own server in my house, all day on. The game will be highly customizable, and would need to constantly register the growth of resources. For example, a player could farm 50 units of gold per hour, all day, without being logged in. I dont plan yet to allow combats with other players, they will be connected only to send messages and see who has the city with more score points in the server.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Nobody can give you exact numbers. It's going to cost a lot more than you think, and it will definitely take longer than 2 weeks. And it will need constant security updates (if it's really a multiplayer RPG with in-game chat) - so, not a one-time cost but rather an ongoing cost. Also, your venture sounds really dodgy; sounds like you're mainly creating a gold farm. So you need to consult a lawyer as well as a server-side engineer.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement