🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

in-app billing in pc platform like mobile devices

Started by
1 comment, last by Shaarigan 2 years, 11 months ago

hi.

im working on a project that is made by unity and needs to make output for both mobile devices and pc devices.

I know that android and ios have their own stores and I have to use their SDK to make in-app billing in the game but I don't know how it works on pc platforms. assume that I want to release my game on steam and epic games. do they have their own in-app billing service and do they obligate the developer to use their SDK (because of benefit)? to be honest I couldn't find such a service on their services. otherwise, will I be able to use other services or other banking services in my game?

Advertisement

Unlikely! The problem (except for you not being trustworthy enougth to handle user bank data properly) is that there are a dozen of un-standardized payment providers like PayPal, which each have their own APIs and are made for web, not a PC game. Their payment interfaces are called as web API call, so you have to provide a full blown browser in your game in order to be able to offer PayPal checkout for example.

Don't do that!

If you want something like ingame currency, you are better offering them via your own website. DLCs and packs can be managed using Steam or Epic Store.

The reason this works on mobile is that mobile is closed platform, somehow like the major consol vendors do it. This means you have one service and can trust that service (more or less)

(Removed double post due to an issue on the website)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement