do game developers(all types) earn much less that other programmers?

Started by
18 comments, last by Nagle 2 years, 3 months ago

@swiftcoder Maybe we have a difference baseline for what “can write code” and “doesn't insult coworkers” means then?

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement

People don't play that much any more as they did a decade ago, most people are interested in social media, videos and communities instead (the number of gamers increased in absolute value, but relatively to other fields, it didnt increased too much). Despite of this, there is a small increase of profit in gamedev. Even so, the increase of the profit on the video games industry cant sustain the increased amount of number of developers needed for a modern 3d videogame title, and overall there are too many game developers and wanabe game developers who want to compete for the money basket.

Of course there will be always very succesful projects who bring a lot of fortune, and there will be “big corps” who can pay a big sack if they need to, but the opposite will be far more relevant. I personally also observe decreased profits in my circles, and significant decreases in my own profits as well. (Actually the last one is my ,,fault'' because i refuse to do anything else than jrpg engines, as i have no interest in doing something that i dont really like.)

to cut this debate in short, if gamedev is your passion, then you would do it even for 0k usd a year, if your question is if you can sustain a modern and quality lifestyle on gamedev alone in the long term, the answer is probably no.

(this is my opinion, you are free to disagree)

Geri said:
if gamedev is your passion, then you would do it even for 0k usd a year

And this, in a nutshell, is how game studios keep managing to underpay gamedevs :/

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Geri said:
People don't play that much any more as they did a decade ago

Numbers tell a different story. Gaming is going super strong. Growth is largely horizontal, though, which explains the numbers you quote: Any given service that was big 10 years ago, probably hasn't grown tremendously since then. But entire new services have sprung up! While Roblox existed in 2011, it wasn't nearly like what it is today, for example. (And Minecraft. And all the Battle Royales. And Twitch. And so on!)

I think this is a philosophical / epistemological question. It's more likely that you personally have changed your life situation and now interact with more people who play less, and thus you're coming to that conclusion.

This is similar to the common question “why is the world so broken now? 30 years ago everything was fine!” The world wasn't actually fine 30 years ago, just that younger people have less awareness of how things actually work (and usually, parents shield children from that knowledge.)

Geri said:
if gamedev is your passion, then you would do it even for 0k usd a year

Yes. The question is whether you should work on someone elses project for $0k/year. You can get an IT job, pay the bills, and spend your evenings on a passion project. Some people paint, or play in a band, or build watches. Some people build games! The drawback is that you'll never work on the leading-edge AAA projects that way. To do that, you really have to dive into the business. It might be a good experience for a few years, but always be aware of options.

hplus0603 said:

spend your evenings on a passion project. Some people paint, or play in a band, or build watches. Some people build games! The drawback is that you'll never work on the leading-edge AAA projects that way.

Agreed - but leading-edge AAA projects can be a different way to describe “games that sell a lot”. There might be some shiny new tech in there, or a bit of creative room, but it might still be more satisfying on working on a passion projects and I think it mostly is.

Of course how much of a drawback it is, is up to the individual: Working an entry-level job odd hours on intangible middleware somewhere in the city is exactly why I decided to skip commercial game companies.
I'm not saying that there aren't better entry-level jobs or more interesting tasks, but with a hobby project next to a job, at least I decide what to do. Screw games that are made for the sake of selling a lot. Sorry for going a bit off-course…

leading-edge AAA projects can be a different way to describe “games that sell a lot”

It's more than that – it's very large teams, where each part of the game gets hopefully significant attention.

If you want to be part of a world where NPCs have individual AI and desires, vehicles drive and handle robustly and with variety, vegetation dynamically interacts with the environment, the weather and climate changes over time, and where every place you go, is a new, hand-crafted, delightful set piece, then all of that needs to be created, and you just can't do all of that on your own. And, no, you can't buy each of those things on the marketplaces – the marketplace products for the main engines are generally not up to the quality bar necessary, and for the few assets that are, they don't integrate to make a whole bigger than the parts, because they're not iterated together.

If you want to be part of shipping a game like that, there's really no way to do it other than going AAA, one way or another. If you're OK with producing only one small piece of that, or producing something of significantly reduced scope, then you can do it as a passion project. If “making very neat terrain” scratches your itch, absolutely possible to do while doing 9-5 in a non-game company! If “complete integrated world with best-of-breed everything” is your bar … different story!

hplus0603 said:

leading-edge AAA projects can be a different way to describe “games that sell a lot”

It's more than that – it's very large teams, where each part of the game gets hopefully significant attention.

Yes - I wrote can be on purpose; but namely to try and separate passion projects, that you also comment on, from AAA projects. You hit the nail on the head:

hplus0603 said:

If you want to be part of a world where NPCs have individual AI and desires, vehicles drive and handle robustly and with variety, vegetation dynamically interacts with the environment, the weather and climate changes over time, and where every place you go, is a new, hand-crafted, delightful set piece, then all of that needs to be created, and you just can't do all of that on your own.

If one is all about having a large and dynamic world for the sake of having a large, dynamic world, then it's going to take time or require some reduction in scope. I don't think it's completely unrealistic to cover all of them single-handedly to some degree, though.
If you want to be creative, innovative and not just go for “best-of-breed” subsystems for the sake of doing that, there's hardly a worse place to go than places delivering annual AAA “play it safe”-titles.

I think what ticked me off is that you wrote “The drawback is that you'll never work on the leading-edge AAA projects that way.”, and in my opinion it's not as necessarily a drawback.
Ultimately, I think it depends on how financial stability, spare time and creativity play together for the individual.

Agreed! Also, an important distinction that I can read through the lines: “AAA” means different things. Being on the Borderlands franchise/teams is different from being on the Battlefield franchise/teams is different from being on the GTA franchise/teams is different from being on the Elder Scrolls franchise/teams.

The short answer to this is: Yes - game development companies pay less.

All companies who hire people sell a narrative to their employees. For some, it is “we pay the best salaries”. In others, it is “We have the brightest/coolest people” or “You get to work with the coolest technology in the world” or “Our employees deliver value to billions of people”, etc, etc. Every company will milk that advantage for everything it is worth, when trying to hire people - and especially if they can pressure the salary. I've interviewed with big/cool tech companies and heard the “People don't work here for the money” more than once, as an excuse to offer a salary below market average.

Game companies use the “You get to create games” as their narrative, and it is incredibly effective - especially to young impressionable men who are gamers.

For every entry level position I've ever recruited for, there's always been dozens upon dozens of fresh-faced graduates. In a normal situation, you'd be looking for the best candidates - and you're doing that in competition with a ton of other companies who are also looking for the best and brightest. That means you'll have a lot of competition, and one way to beat the competition, is to give a better starting salary. When recruiting for a game developer, there are a number of factors that play in. 1) I would not have much competition; the number of serious game development companies are not that many, 2) Most of the applicants would be passionate about getting into games (as someone wrote above - if you love game development, you'd work for nothing). These factors make it much easier to pressure salaries downwards, because if your preferred candidate says no, there is always a handful of others who will accept.

Michael A. - Software Engineer, moonlighting as a game developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement