Getting started on a gameplay programming portfolio

Started by
3 comments, last by Strategy 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm currently in school pursuing a degree in game development & programming, and I'm looking for some direction on getting started making a portfolio for gameplay programming. Firstly, what kind of projects or work samples should I even put in such a portfolio? I'm guessing something along the lines of small completed games (either solo or as part of a team) or maybe even feature demos, something just to show that I know how to program gameplay mechanics. Additionally, I've heard that personal projects generally are more interesting to employers, but really all I have so far is stuff I've made for school. I'm juggling a full time job and going to school online, so at the moment I don't have a lot of free time to do side projects. I'll have more spare time (and energy) after I finish up with classes early next year. So far I've done all my game programming in Unreal Engine 4, so that's really all I know how to make games with.

Secondly, how should such a portfolio even ideally be presented? (A webpage linking to code repos? Should I include any demo videos of my work? Should I just focus on showing the code? etc.)

None

Advertisement

As a fresh graduate with limited work history, employers are not expecting a ton. You don't necessarily need an online portfolio, and if you have one it is fine for them to be school projects you want to showcase. Unfortunately you are not competing in a vacuum and you have no idea what the other candidates are showing off. Present yourself in the best light you can. A website is a common approach. For entry level programmers even that is unnecessary, the companies will send programming tests for you to complete.

We want evidence you can do the job. But at the entry level mostly it is evidence of excitement and that you know enough you won't hurt things when you make inevitable mistakes, and that you are likely to contribute about the same value as your wages.

Don't over-think it. Apply for the jobs, and present yourself as you are.

Hi Mocha,

So I just finished my degree in game programming & dev at SNHU last month and am currently seeking a role in the industry as a gameplay programmer as well. It's been challenging because I have a full-time job as well and didn't really have time for personal projects, game jams, internships, etc. I work 50+ hrs a week as a cook. Anywho, I agree with frob, present yourself in the best light possible.

The only real advice I could offer is research. Find a company you really want to work for and cater your projects/portfolio towards them. What platform do they develop on? mobile/vr/console/pc/etc. What technologies are they using? Unreal/Unity/In-house, C++/C#/JS. If you have one in mind already then network, reach out to a developer, see what they've done.

I took the demo video approach on my portfolio and linked the source code to the gameplay feature. If you're planning on applying to a large studio, perhaps have a single 2 - 3 min video that showcases all of your skills relevant to gameplay programming or other areas that you're proud of. Recruiters at larger companies are sifting through hundreds of applications daily and making your expertise as accessible as possible will be favorable.

Here is my portfolio: https://winstonto.myportfolio.com
I​ track my page hits with google analytics each time I apply and so far nobody really stays longer than 4 minutes, and not all of my project's pages get the same unique view counts. There is a lot of video content on there that should take more than 4 minutes to view, so that tells me that they are skimming and looking for particular skillsets or they're not interested.

I don't have the strongest portfolio or me, but at the end of the day, it is there to land you an interview. It should be able to grab the attention of the recruiter/hiring manager and help them quickly assess your capabilities.

Here are a few examples from other gameplay programmers:

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you,
Winston

Feel free to reach out to me via discord FauxTheWin#4399

I've hired a fair amount of people (or been involved in the hiring process). For most positions, I've usually ended up with stacks of CVs of 50-100 people per position (less nowadays, more in worse times for employees). Very, very often, the vast majority of the applicants are people fresh from school.

When you're faced with dozens of fresh-faced applicants, it is very hard to weed out the good ones from the chaff. So you want to get noticed (positively), because only those get picked out for interviews.

• Easiest is to have good/exceptional grades from a good university. Once you have a few years of experience under your belt, no one will care that you scored a D in programming, but with noting else to go on, recruiters naturally look at the factors that make a person stand out. And good grades are an indicator that this is a hard-working, and possibly smart person.
  • Learn to write a good application letter. Given a choice between someone with an articulate cover letter, and someone writing something half ineligible, a recruiter will always go for the former. Coding is also writing, and documentation is an important part of development. Learn to write well.
  • Do coding in public. If you can, work on open-source projects or make your own projects open-source. IMO, it is the single most important thing you can do to increase your chance of getting recruited and far, far too few CSc graduates do it. When looking for a developer, the recruiter is looking for someone who can code (above all). I don't care how fancy your youtube reel looks - what I want to see is your code. Can you solve complex problems? Can you structure code in a legible manner? What techniques do you master? Someone who has demonstrated even before the interview that they are a solid programmer, is way ahead of the person who is applying with simply a degree. to their name.
    • Student projects are the bare minimum, but they are often too limited and too simple to give any real insight into your skills. You want to do something that showcases the abilities potential employers are looking for.

Michael A. - Software Engineer, moonlighting as a game developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement