🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Connecting codes written by different people together.

Started by
19 comments, last by frob 2 years, 5 months ago

Hello.

I am new to game development and i barely understand any programming. I am going to hire a programmer, but i have to know about few details first.

I want to hire several programmers on freelance and let them do game separately from each other, to accelerate game developing process. So basically i will not order entire game from one programmer, instead i will break my game into pieces.

As several different programmers develop pieces of game and code on their own, can there be any problems with connecting them into one entire game?

Having separate pieces of codes will I be able to connect them together and make functional game?

Are there any rules i have to follow while ordering freelance work or should i give them some rules to follow for me to be able to connect their work together?

If you have any suggestions for me as beginner, you can share them.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

First, you must not put it all together yourself without having created the code yourself after all there is so much in programming a game that it would be almost impossible to have the entire thing created separately without all programmers knowing what the others are doing. Secondly, just have the programmers work on the same project, meaning that every programmer can see what the other programmers are doing at all times, use GitHub for that.

There really aren't any rules that you have to follow, but it is best to see what the programmer can and can't do, what they are willing to do, and what they are not willing to do, except for those you are the one that makes the rules.

I should say that I am not really good with these things, while I am a programmer, I just don't do freelance, as I am the owner/founder of a company that is in the entertainment business. I will wish you some good luck with getting some more info on this, as I don't know much about how freelancers think and what they want in a client.

– Erik P. Kountzman - Owner - of - Airent Animation Entertainment --

GiorgiDev, how complex of a game/product are we talking about?

What role do you see yourself in? Are you an artist? Project manager? Writer? Musician?

As a non-engineer, I would first and foremost partner with an engineer whom you trust to manage the development efforts. That person will be able to guide you on the rules, methods, phases, etc.

@azherdev I am not programmer and have no experience in that. I am just going to find a programmer and hire him. As beginner i am going to work about more like casual game with no complex codes and graphics. I would just like to know if i could break game into pieces like UI, levels, physics, advertisement, character movement and develop them separately with programmers and then connect them together.

@Officer_Erik_K It is not necessary freelancers i could find a programmer so i can view that as an option as well. I just would like to know if i could break game into pieces like UI, levels, physics, advertisement, character movement and develop them separately with programmers and then connect them together. I can even hire another programmer to view all those work and connect them if that requires knowledge of language.

Make a code architecture design(make it with the help of your hired).

GiorgiDev said:
I just would like to know if i could break game into pieces like UI, levels, physics, advertisement, character movement and develop them separately with programmers and then connect them together.

Yes, that's how it's usually done.

Our engine does that already. Check out our OO web game engine.

https://www.otakhi.com/

https://www.otakhi.com/public/document

We allow users to wrap lower level code, scripts, and GUI components into Objects that can be shared online.

All objects, once published, are stored in a central repository, anyone can grab what he needs to assemble/connect them into an end product.

Our approach is top-down using UML which is more natual since object design requirement comes from end users not developers. ECS approach means the behavior of the root class is fixed and dictated by the developer, while our approach does not suffer from this rigidity. For those programming nerds, this is partially due to our use of OBJECT COMPOSITON rather than INHERITANCE.

View a sample object here: https://www.otakhi.com/detail/16622

I dont think its good idea to hire tons of programmers to begin with. Probably one for writing the 3d engine, and one for implementing the game logic itself is enough. If they need more people, they will guide you how to hire more people and who to hire.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement