What are the alternatives to finance indie game development

Started by
3 comments, last by KendoMaster 2 years, 3 months ago

Provide me with career advice please if you will.

40+ Male, hobbyist gamedev for 20+ years. I've had a full time job in IT and Tech for ~15 years and software developer for about five years and now officially sick of it. ?

I have been trying to develop indie games for myself ~4h a day and in reality managing maybe 0-2h a day. I need more time and more "headspace". I'm not expecting a lot of money from this, so I feel I would also need to do maybe freelancing, a part-time job or small business but I've had some real difficulties coming up with anything I could do part-time, except delivering pizzas ?. There's no shortage of full time, demanding jobs in my field but I'm done with that. I also would rather not work for game companies since I also want to develop my own. My expenses are small and I have savings but yeah, probably not going full time indie any time soon.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

What is your purpose?

If your purpose is to start a game business, you need to start investigating all the business aspects. For most game studios, the fact that they make games is almost incidental to the work the studio management is doing. They spend their time looking for business leads, solving business problems, getting workers, making payroll, navigating regulations, and other business concerns. Yes, having good game products to sell is important, but that means the business owner is hiring people to do the work, generally not doing the work themselves. For starting a business you need to be focusing your efforts on how to establish and grow a successful business, not about making a specific game.

If your purpose is to make amazing games, you need to work with a team of people to do that. Modern games require skills from many different people. For most people that means finding a job where they can do it professionally. (NOTE: That means being a worker at a studio, not an owner of the studio, who is spending their time trying to make the business run rather than actually making games.) Some people find like-minded friends and collaborate, but someone in the group needs to do the business side like making sure proper legal collaboration agreements are in place, making sure the game is marketable, working toward publication goals, and so on. In that path you'll need to first gain the skills that the job needs, then go get the job.

If you just want a hobby of making games, go for it. But recognize that hobbies really are hobbies. It may be like the people with a fixer-upper car in their garage that rusts away as they tinker, or the people with a hobby of fishing on weekends, spending more money than they will ever make back because they enjoy the past time rather than a quest for other value. Do it for the joy of doing it, with zero expectation of making money, nor supporting yourself, nor winning the game development lottery. You're statistically far more likely to get rich by buying lottery tickets.

Basically it is a hobby, but a very time consuming hobby. And a hobby that I prioritize over my day job which is just for money really.

I know I have no interest running a real game studio. I would end up doing everything else except actual game development and it would be a gamble anyway. But that is a very good point.

I guess the ideal is to continue to make games but also make money from other income sources.

All of them are perfectly good options. It's important to figure out what bin you are in so you can make realistic expectations.

If you decide that you really do want to make games professionally then a career change is an option, even at age 40, or 50, or later. Occasionally retired folks have decided they want to live out their dreams and start a second career doing professional work in a studio. So if that's a dream you've got, you don't need to give up on it.

Just don't go down one path expecting to reach a different destination. The roads are well traveled, the risks are understood, and the destination on the other side is well known.

Yes. The roads are well travelled. I guess I am really expressing my petty anger and frustration. Safe travels my friend, and also those, not my friends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement