Choosing a career in AI programmer?

Started by
12 comments, last by frob 2 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Ramon Diaz; I am currently studying Game development and programming at SNHU. I have taken the initiative to learn about a professional career in AI programming. I have a lot of gaps in my development in the short term. I have blueprint experience with AI but not enough to choose a career in this profession. I would like to know how I can be competitive leaving the university in 5 months after finishing my studies. I am looking for knowledge from all of you who have been in the industry for years.

Advertisement

Entry level? Know your algorithms, it will help you at interviews. If you have made demos it can help you get jobs, but the market is wide open right now and should be relatively easy to find work for the foreseeable future.

Overall, it reads like you are on the right path. When you graduate and start looking for work, be open to any positions rather than just an AI specialty. Once you have a job it is easier to transition into whatever specialty you prefer.

Thank you.

I would like to know how I can be competitive leaving the university in 5 months after finishing my studies.

Talk about last minute. Create AI projects? Or A game with character behaviors? Pathfinding examples. Crowd movements. Anything really. Learn how navigation meshes work.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

@dpadam450

Character Behavior is what I doing in the project at this moment. Everything related to AI programming.

@dpadam450

Is it the same when learning C++ in AI as visual scripting Blueprint? If I were to make a demo, what kind of programming should I focus on my attention?

@frob

It is important to have a portfolio?

Not for programming. You will need to show you know how to do the work, but it is usually some interview questions and writing some code of their choice. If you have something you want to share with them, you can do it if you want.

Having done fancy demos can sometimes help get interviews, and can help show your interest and abilities, but it is generally not needed. It does not hurt, unless you do it badly and therefore becomes a cautionary warning. Build it if you want. I have interviewed and hired bunches of programmers without portfolios.

I'm studying AI at the moment, in terms of statistical learning. I've learned so much about AI over the past few weeks. Check out:

https://hastie.su.domains/ISLR2/ISLRv2_website.pdf

and

Machine Learning with R: Expert techniques for predictive modeling, 3rd Edition

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement