Can you help me understand if it is possible to implement my idea?

Started by
3 comments, last by a light breeze 1 year, 9 months ago

Hello, I saw a platformer game tutorial series for pygame on youtube and I want to follow the tutorial and make my own game, but a question stuck in my mind. Do you think it would be possible to add the feature of breaking the blocks on the map to this game? Is there anything preventing this? The codes for the game are here: https://github.com/rik-cross/python-pygame-platformer

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

This is not a Writing question. Moved to an appropriate forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Furkan125 said:
Do you think it would be possible to add the feature of breaking the blocks on the map to this game? Is there anything preventing this?

Without reading the code, it's possible. What can be done or cannot be done is completely decided by the code. Thus if you change the code in an appropriate way, anything you wish can happen.

(To be precise, anything that is computable fast enough that is. Computers are fast but they do have a finite speed, so it's possible that a result takes a long time to calculate (like “what is the question to the answer 42” in the 'Hitch hiker guide to the Galaxy').

In practice, some changes are simple, while others are less simple. The upper limit is “impossible” only because “it's too much work”. Any code makes assumptions on what are stable features. If you try to change such a stable feature anyway, that code simply collapses. You can still do it, but it means rewriting a lot of the code (upto “everything”, ie it's simpler to write it again from scratch). A little thinking ahead before starting to write code usually prevents problems (at lat least avoids them).

There are different kinds of “impossible”:

1. There are things that are inherently impossible because they are self-contradictory, e.g. “I want a multi-player game where everyone has total freedom to attack other players and is totally safe from being attacked by other players”.
  2. There are things that are physically impossible, e.g. “I want to completely simulate the entire universe, down to the smallest subatomic particle, including the computer that is running the simulation”.
  3. There are things that are impossible for the hardware you are targeting, e.g. “I want typing on my phone app to be as fast, accurate, and comfortable as typing on a full-sized keyboard” or “I want a modern first-person shooter with photo-realistic graphics, and I want it to run on the NES”.
  4. Things that are impossible for the software stack you are using, e.g. “I want to make a map for the original Doom, and I want it to have bridges that you can walk under and over”.
  5. Things that are beyond your skill, e.g. “I want to create a game like World of Warcraft all by myself”.
  6. Things that are simply to much work to bother with.

The only ones of these that could possibly apply to your project are numbers 5 and 6. It's definitely possible for me, but I don't now your level of skill or how much work you are willing to put into this project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement