Finding a Mentor in the Industry

Started by
16 comments, last by Programmer71 1 year, 4 months ago

Hello!

I am trying to enter the field of video game development. One of the tips I consistently;y see everywhere is to make connections and contacts with those in the industry to help you through your journey as a mentor. However, where am I supposed to find these connections? Often when I approach people online (the only place I can connect at the moment ) it is met with radio silence.

Could anyone give me any tips? I would love to pick someone's brain about a career in the industry.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Where do you live? Are you a member of the IGDA?

Your question was in the wrong forum. It has been moved to the Game Career Development forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper I am not, is that a good place to find help?

yes

None

@zackzamiska , I repeat: Where do you live?

Pittsburgh @Tom Sloper

So you're near Carnegie Mellon. Maybe you're a student now. Maybe you know Jesse Schell, the head of CMU's game program; he can give you advice. And I assume the faculty are all industry professionals. Maybe some grads of CMU's game program have founded game companies nearby and are willing to mentor. And maybe the IGDA has a Pittsburgh chapter. Join the IGDA. Check gamedevmap.com (type in your location in the Search box) to see what game companies are near you.

Also join official UNITY forum

Programmer71 said:

Also join official UNITY forum

You mean https://forum.unity.com/​ ? I don't see any places there where people can ask career advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement