what do i make my first 2d game about?

Started by
4 comments, last by HuguesRoss 1 year ago

i want to make my first game but i don't have much of an imagination (and i can't do anything without someone watching me so i'd like to start a devlog here) can someone give me an idea of what to make, all it has to be is 2D. I know it will take a while for someone to answer but i'l wait as long as it takes. I have coded with python a bit already but don't know much, i am willing to learn any other language you ask for tho.

thx already!

Advertisement

i can't do anything without someone watching me

ngmi

its sad that you took the time to type that while you didn't even contribute anything to the forum…

The usual advice is to start simple with a classic game, eg pong, space-invaders, or perhaps tetris. Any programming language is fine, Python is likely the best choice as you already know that somewhat.

While these games look simple, once you start building them you'll find they contain much more detail than you would expect. Don't under-estimate the amount of time that you will need!

Good luck with the challenge you set for yourself!

EDIT: And while quou wasn't much on-topic wrt the question, you may want to find out why you must show things to others. If it is about ego, ego and programming don't go well together, in general.

From what I recall, Godot's default scripting language is extremely similar to python, could be a good option for starting out. I think there's a number of tutorials that teach basic gamedev stuff with it too, so that's probably a good source of first projects.

Beyond that point though, I recommend not asking people for suggestions because if you don't have much stake or interest in the concept it may be difficult to stay motivated. I understand the desire to have your stuff be seen and enjoyed by others, but this is not easy to accomplish in the indie space: The market is very over-saturated, even when it comes to free games, so unless you do a lot of advertising work or find niches that aren't well-covered, you will likely find fewer eyes on your work than you would like.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't make games--personally i think it's fun--but I wanted to warn you about that in advance so you're aware. I see a lot of new devs feeling down because they didn't get the response they were expecting after putting something out, and that's a feeling you have to overcome to succeed.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement