Game name format

Started by
4 comments, last by Tomsudobrej 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello ?

I may be overthinking this but I cannot decide on one thing.

Let's say we have a series of games called “John Smith” and every game has a secondary title like “Green Fields” or “Valley of The Kings”. How would you write the whole title name together?

1)

John Smith and The Green Fields

John Smith and The Valley of The Kings

2)

John Smith: Green Fields

John Smith: Valley of The Kings

3)

John Smith - Green Fields

John Smith - Valley of The Kings

4)

Something else… ?

I think things to consider when deciding are:

Name legth - You don't want to have a name that looks like a long sentence, right?

Game logo - Do I want to have a logo with “and The” somewhere? Or do I want it simpler and cleaner?

Internet - Personally when I'm searching on the net, I write just key words like “John Smith Green Fields”. Also store pages don't consider “:” colon or “-” dash signs in the url addresses. In general these two signs (colon and dash) tend to disappear in time on the internet, nobody cares about them in game names.

And other things to consider…

What do you think? Let me know ?

Thank you

Advertisement

What's the relation between John Smith and Green Fields (for example)? I think that may give a direction of what form is the best.

As for Internet, don't bother worrying about it, search engines normalize queries, find sub-matches, and what not.

I hate dashes and colons in titles. They look stupid and they sound even more stupid when spoken out loud. John Smith and the Green Fields is about as generic as it gets, but at least it makes grammatical sense and is not just a jumble of different elements thrown together. John Smith in the Green Fields or John Smith Visits the Green Fields would be even better because they actually connect the two elements instead of just throwing a conjunction in there.

This is not a Game Design question. The title of a game is actually a Marketing issue, so this thread is moved to the Business and Law forum.

btw, I favor the colon.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yeah, thanks, I wasn't really sure. Thanks for your opinion also ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement