Help with getting into unity

Started by
3 comments, last by gamechfo 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Heya,

I've been struggling to get into Unity, and I can't seem to get into it. I've used Gamemaker Studio 2 for a year now and nothing else, and when I initially tried to get into that, it was hard, but sticking with a lot of tutorials I slowly learned how to get on my feet and start walking myself. But Unity is a whole different level of complexity. I've tried youtube tutorials, but they all seem to assume you know stuff you don't. I've also tried getting help thru discord, but the community seems to be really impatient with beginners compared to the GMS2 community.

So is there any help/tips I could get to help me get into Unity? Is this just another situation of what happened to me with GMS2, but it'll just take a lot longer to get on my feet in Unity?

None

Advertisement

Moved to the For Beginners forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Can you be more specific other than “can't get into it" and “get on my feet”?

As for complexity, major game engines ARE complex, they need to be. Simple systems only allow changes in simple ways, so instead they expose a tremendous amount of functionality allowing the range of games from Subnautica to Hearthstone to Untitled Goose Game to Beat Saber in VR. If it were simple that variety wouldn't be possible. They are easy enough to use, but you're right that they expose all the functionality needed to make advanced games which can be overwhelming when you start out.

frob said:
Can you be more specific other than “can't get into it

Yeah, sorry bout that. The terms mean roughly the same thing to me: It's a point in time where I am comfortable with the engine, and I can do some really basic stuff without help, but I'm still very much a beginner in it.

When I was using GMS2, I'd say this point was when I could easily code movement and collision while knowing enough about how the programming works to learn easier from more complex tutorials/things.

frob said:
can be overwhelming when you start out.

Feels like an understatement lol, GMS2 feels like a breeze compared to Unity.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement